Talk

Advanced search

Please critique DS's GCSE choices

(18 Posts)
golfbuggy Fri 10-Feb-17 16:02:21

DS (in Year 8; his school run a 3 year KS4) has brought home a letter to choose GCSE options. He has basically gone through it and filled it in, in about 5 seconds. I actually think he's picked a sensible set of subjects but was a bit non-plussed by the minimum amount of fuss, so wondered what others thought (are we missing something?)

He has to do English Lang, English Lit, Maths
He has chosen as options: Triple Science, Computer Science, Geography, Spanish and Music

His best and favourite subjects are Science and Computer Science and he will most probably do some combination of them at A Level, possibly with maths (which he is good at, but doesn't particularly enjoy).

any thoughts?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Fri 10-Feb-17 16:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Fri 10-Feb-17 16:03:58

No need for a fuss - a good variety that keeps options open . good for him!

hellsbells99 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:06:34

My DD did those all subjects except computer science. She also did an extra maths exam. She enjoyed her choices and is now doing an engineering degree. Music was a lot of work but she plays a couple of instruments end enjoys it. The only ones she would have preferred not to take were the English GCSEs!

piefacerecords Fri 10-Feb-17 16:06:39

Looks good to me - assuming the 'preferred' option is still triple science, a humanity, a language and then a 'softer' subject such as Art/Music. Is EBAC still a thing? I am probably a few years out of touch grin

onlyconnect Fri 10-Feb-17 16:08:10

He should do what he enjoys. Unless he wants to be a vet or doctor in which case he must do the sciences. Really what matters is that he enjoys his subjects and is motivated in them. Too many ch fuss is made about options choices ( not saying op is making a fuss by asking the question)

GeorgeTheHamster Fri 10-Feb-17 16:09:36

Absolutely fine. DS2 was equally decisive

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Fri 10-Feb-17 16:17:40

I imagine at least one of my dc will choose exactly the same smile

Good solid academic choices and the computer science syllabus has been much improved recently.

Leeds2 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:18:04

Looks good to me!

PurpleDaisies Fri 10-Feb-17 16:19:42

Are you worried about his choices? It looks like an absolutely standard set of subjects to me. Some children just know what then want do and don't need to agonise.

WyfOfBathe Fri 10-Feb-17 16:20:23

Looks good, there's a nice spread of subjects with sciences, a humanity, a language & an art subject.

sally828 Fri 10-Feb-17 16:21:51

Looks like a great variety of subjects to me, some valuable subjects there and a language is really good too.

UnderneaththeArchers Fri 10-Feb-17 16:30:41

I suppose you could ask what he would do if it turns out that combination cannot be accommodated (even if he has picked from 'boxes' so it should be OK).

TurkeyDinosaurs Fri 10-Feb-17 16:39:23

I did all those but instead of computer science I did Latin. Imo he's got a great and varied selection which will keep things open for him for his A level choices.

gobbin Fri 10-Feb-17 22:22:54

and then a 'softer' subject such as Art/Music. Is EBAC still a thing? I am probably a few years out of touch

Music is most def not a soft option, even for those that have Grade 8 in five instruments and intend to play the noseflute professionally.

myfavouritecolourispurple Sat 11-Feb-17 15:29:16

Great selection.

I did music as I really liked singing in my school choir. It was a big mistake for me. Does he like composing? That is a very large component of the course. So if he doesn't, I really wouldn't do it.

Other than that, looks great.

catslife Sat 11-Feb-17 15:38:07

Looks a good combination OP and does fulfill the EBacc requirements (but this doesn't really have any effect on the individual pupils).
I would check the GCSE course requirements / syllabus OP. These will all be the new 9-1 syllabus so could be slightly different to the ones our dcs did or that we took ourselves.

Mrssomerhalder85 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:21:50

Looks fine. Nice variety of subjects.
Would agree with an above poster: music is not a soft option, just demonstrates how
Little people research content in GCSE courses,and if DS doesn't play an instrument/sing it will be tougher..
If he is around grade 3/4 standard he'll find the performance a breeze.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now