Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reading scheme reward

(4 Posts)
Catlady1976 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:31:56

Our local secondary uses a scheme where kids are set a target to read books and do quizzes based on them. Each target is individual based on their reading level.
If the child meets their target they are rewarded with a non uniform day.
Each time it happens the school gets slated on social media for doing this.
So I was just wondering if people think that it is wrong or right for the school to do this.
Thank you

MongerTruffle Sun 12-Feb-17 14:43:20

I wouldn't be happy with this because it does nothing to encourage those who want to read above the target. It also makes those who don't read enough stand out.

Bensyster Sun 12-Feb-17 15:54:32

I don't think it encourages kids to read for the love of it. In fact maybe the opposite. Dd likes to read a book slowly and that suits her - the school reward them for reading very quickly - I've encouraged dd to read, enjoy it and ignore the school.

Catlady1976 Mon 13-Feb-17 08:41:12

Interesting point Ben.
monger they do other awards for words read etc.
I found it useful for the Dd1. Sadly she is not an avid reader. But thankfully she has found some books she likes under the new scheme. Her target is high but depending on choice she may only have to read a couple of books per half term.
Last half term she didn't make it but she appears to have been spurred on (and I had a little word) and achieved it this half term.
So I suppose I like it but appreciate it's not for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now