Talk

Advanced search

Is this punishment 'fair enough' and normal practice?

(136 Posts)
youarenotkiddingme Sat 04-Feb-17 10:07:25

So a child in yr 7 is walking through school with friends.

See's older pupils wearing something non uniform policy. It's very obviously not in keeping with the school. The school have a massive image complex and drum it into the pupils.

Pupils makes a comment to friends about how come they get away with it, they don't like the image and then says it makes them look like <unflattering word> (but not racist/ disablist or anything)

Teacher overheard the comment (or rather the context of conversation) and pupil out on harshest detention they dish out for using an unkind word.

I'm being vague as don't want to be outed.

But I'm wondering if it's normal to punish children so harshly for a comment made in passing to friends in a corridor?
(Teacher admits they didn't actually hear word first time and only know exactly what was said as pupil asked and she told her)

Rickandmorty Sat 04-Feb-17 10:08:52

It depends what the word is.

LadyPenelope68 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:11:02

I think it's totally acceptable. If they're making a derogatory comment about another person in public where they could be overheard, then they have to accept the consequences.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 10:13:46

What's the "harshest" detention? Surely a detention is fairly standard? And yes, if she was name calling in front of the teacher it was hardly going to be ignored.
Maybe she should learn to police herself as regards correct uniform, and not worry about infringements other people are making?

EvilTwins Sat 04-Feb-17 10:16:50

If I overhear a student swearing or using derogatory language in the corridor I issue a detention. It doesn't matter who they are speaking to.

museumum Sat 04-Feb-17 10:18:23

Depends on the word.
If it was sexist / misogynistic then absolutely.

BitOutOfPractice Sat 04-Feb-17 10:19:34

How would you feel if your dd came home and said another pupil had been calling her names and making derogatory comments about her appearance loudly in a corridor. I imagine you'd be pretty cross.

BitOutOfPractice Sat 04-Feb-17 10:20:29

And of course the word itself matters. Not sure why you're being so coy about it

Wumpychoo Sat 04-Feb-17 10:20:33

Was the word chav? If so i think that's quite bad. Flogging at dd's school there are different levels of detentions.

Saucery Sat 04-Feb-17 10:22:08

Perfectly acceptable. You don't walk down corridors being nasty about other pupils, lesson learned, hopefully.

WomanWithAltitude Sat 04-Feb-17 10:22:45

If the word was something like 'chav' or 'pikey', then it was absolutely justified. Awful appalling words.

What was the word.

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Feb-17 10:23:23

It doesn't depend at all. If the school pride themselves in having such a massive image complex, then 1). It's plainly not working for all the pupils, and 2). They can police it themselves, unless they've made your dd some sort of ambassador, op?
Your op really makes it sound like her behaviour was justified by the ethos of the school. It wasn't.

BitOutOfPractice Sat 04-Feb-17 10:25:10

I notice you didn't say the word wasn't misogynistic op. Was it?

Eolian Sat 04-Feb-17 10:28:09

First, it's impossible to say whether it's fair without knowing what the word is. Second, how harsh can a detention actually be unless you're at Hogwarts?

user1484226561 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:30:00

What an awful thing to do.Your DD was bullying. There is no justification for loud spiteful comments in public about another individual. Very nasty behaviour indeed.

I'm surprised you are not dishing out your "harshest" sanction at home too. What are you doing do teach your child that their behaviour is unacceptable, ( and that she is absolutely in no position to judge someone else who's situation she knows nothing about either)

Laniakea Sat 04-Feb-17 10:33:01

did the year 7 child call the older pupils sluts?

PolterGoose Sat 04-Feb-17 10:38:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KateDaniels2 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:41:26

So the child got detention for using a derogatory word about another pupil?

And you think thats harsh?

I think its perfectly acceptable.

Somerville Sat 04-Feb-17 10:47:39

The same schools that have high expectations/strict enforcement on uniform often also have high expectations/strict enforcement on behaviour. And good for that school.

rollonthesummer Sat 04-Feb-17 10:51:01

Depends on the word.

WomanWithAltitude Sat 04-Feb-17 10:52:42

I would expect using derogatory terms to warrant a harsh punishment as standard. Any school that didn't do that would be doing its job.

Uniform infringements are petty in comparison, and would deserve a lighter punishment.

VintagePerfumista Sat 04-Feb-17 10:53:53

Sounds good to me.

WomanWithAltitude Sat 04-Feb-17 10:54:47

Which derogatory words would be ok, rollon? Are there any?

ChocoChou Sat 04-Feb-17 10:55:55

Sounds like a perfectly acceptable punishment.
Also sounds like you're one of the parents that will forever excuse your child's poor behaviour hmm

Merlin40 Sat 04-Feb-17 11:02:00

Was the word gay?

And what's the harshest detention.

I would judge on the circumstance, but have given anything from lunchtime detention to day in isolation for unkind single words this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now