Advanced search

Reading Boys (Grammar) vs Reading Bluecoat (Indy) if places at both, what would you do ?

(13 Posts)
SewandSew40 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:26:54

DS passed the 11+ and based on the score and the FOI lists of scores which have been published, it's highly likely that he'll be offered a place at Reading Boys, the grammar. He has also received an offer of a place at Bluecoat, private. We are local to both so travelling is not an issue. . DS is sporty and a personable child - but quite sensitive and can get anxious - to be honest, he's surprised us by the results but we are really proud of him . We can do the fees for BC if that's the decision. My main concerns are whether emotionally, he'll handle the 'academicness' (sorry don't know how to put it) at Reading Boys - or whether I'm just being a bit over protective and should see this as an amazing opportunity to go to a very good school. He could potentially move for year 9 to Bluecoat if it all went wrong but I am wavering between the two. We'll only have a week to make a decision once the Secondary schools results come out as BC is decision time by 9th March.....

OP’s posts: |
user1484226561 Sat 04-Feb-17 08:31:54

If you can afford to go to Bluecoat, go there, and free up the grammar school place for someone else. Its a shame when grammar schools are filled up by families who would have gone private if they hadn't got a grammar school place, it skews the whole demographic, and spoils the grammar school.

EssentialHummus Sat 04-Feb-17 08:42:38

He's proved that he's academic enough for the grammar, and you've said that you can move him in Y9 if it doesn't work out. Let him have a go, it could be the making of him.

Well done to him!

SewandSew40 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:47:18

Thanks Essential Hummus, I am definitely erring on that. User148.....I would definitely not make the decision based on the theory to 'free up' a space for someone else. Our financial situation is irrelevant - my sons academic and emotional needs are the only thing to base this decision on and we are fortunate to be able to afford an alternative private school. Academically the private is quite far below the grammar (based on league tables in the South East) - it's just a different kind of school

OP’s posts: |
user1484226561 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:51:57

I'm not expecting you to, it would just be nice if people did

SewandSew40 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:05:06

I am quite charitable in many ways but I would never extend that to include my childs education.

OP’s posts: |
AbbieRuin Sat 04-Feb-17 10:07:14

What did your ds think of the schools when you visited?

You're local, but that could still mean a slow journey in Reading traffic, lol - any advantage there?

IME of a son at RS, year 7 is pretty full on, but after that it's quite relaxed - of course there are high academic expectations, but most boys reach those expectations without too much trouble.

I've found the pastoral care to be excellent.

Happy to try to answer any questions, here or by pm.

SewandSew40 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:41:59

Thanks, that's really helpful. He would bus it to school with a few of the other local schools - stop is a 5 min walk from the house and they go quite early (he's a lark not an owl) - so all that is not a concern for me. He is quite self motivated which he's proved this tear. No one has a crystal ball but sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith !
We have looked around - BC is obviously set in amazing grounds etc but is that worth the extra money ? He also has a couple of sports they don't do at either school so even that won't sway the decision ! I might well pm you - thanks

OP’s posts: |
YakiUdonYumYum Sat 04-Feb-17 10:50:38

I have friends with sons at each school. Current opinion is that RB is overall good, positives and negatives (as with any state school).

BC apparently has a new head (I'm not sure, can't remember the exact details) and friend's sons found the change in ethos quite difficult. Eldest son was very glad to leave at the end of A levels; and she wouldn't put get younger son in now, if he was joining now.

It sounds as though you have the option of changing schools in yr9 if things aren't working out, so give your DS the chance to try RB first (less financial stress).

Any school in year 7 will be a big change, that's inevitable btw.

thedirac Thu 06-Apr-17 12:57:18

You will have made the decision by now but just to add that my son is in year 7 at Reading Blue Coat and is having a fantastic time. I really can't fault the school. In my experience it is very academic and also very sporty. The facilities are amazing, there are endless clubs and a huge range of trips. He also has a friend at Reading Boys who also seems very happy. I found out quite recently that quite a few boys at RBC also had a place at Reading Boys but chose RBC I think because of the sporting facilities. I don't think you can go wrong either way-both fantastic schools.

juliemacklin Sat 01-Sep-18 10:08:15

We’re in the same predicament. What did you choose in the end and how is your son getting on.

FanDabbyFloozy Sat 01-Sep-18 21:32:56

@juliemacklin - how are you holding a place at both at this time of year?

MarchingFrogs Sun 02-Sep-18 00:07:44

how are you holding a place at both at this time of year?

By having accepted both places? The independent school will the first term's fees twice over to soften the blow of having to find someone off the waiting list if the place there isn't taken up. The state school just has the hassle and expense of 'un-preparing' one child's place and sorting out the replacement; ditto the school that the waiting list entrant has come from and so on down the line.

Unless, of course, the situation is newly arisen through this child himself only just having been offered a place at one of the schools via the waiting list?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in