Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would these A Level choices be too similar?

(25 Posts)
AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 09:54:02

Economics
Govt & Politics
Philosophy

Dd had originally wanted to study maths & science as she feels these are useful subjects & has a hankering towards dance/sport Physiotherapy. But I don't think her science grades will be good enough. I told her she should think about choosing subjects she loves rather than what she thinks she 'should' study.

She actually wants to be a professional dancer but wants A levels as a back up.

She's very very good at English but doesn't enjoy it. However her face lights up when she talks about RS & she's been chosen to go to a model United Nations conference in Europe. She hasn't done history GCSE as it clashed with French & we had issues with the history teacher in years 8/9 which led to a formal complaint.

Her predicted grades are

Maths - 7/8
English Lang - 8
English Lit - 8
Biology - 6/7
Chemistry - 6/7
Physics - 7
RS - 8/9
Music - 7
French - 7

In addition she has extra curricular qualifications in drama & dance that are higher than GCSE level.

Haggisfish Thu 02-Feb-17 09:55:12

If she wants to be a physio she will need biology I think?

Haggisfish Thu 02-Feb-17 09:56:22

Has she thought about civil service careers? She could do a Ppe degree?

Bobochic Thu 02-Feb-17 09:56:57

Yes, they are too social science and essay based - all interesting but not a rounded education.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 09:57:18

I think she needs to be realistic about the physio idea. It's ultra competitive & to get the required grades something would have to give - & her first, main dream is to be a professional dancer & apply for vocational training aged 18 which will require a very high level of ability.

228agreenend Thu 02-Feb-17 10:03:12

They're a good combination. If she loves RS, why isn't she doing that?

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 10:04:44

RS isn't offered at the school we are looking at for A level but the Philosophy course contains a lot of similar content.

amidawish Thu 02-Feb-17 16:23:59

I would switch out economics for maths.
If she can do Maths A level it keeps so many doors open.

Witchend Thu 02-Feb-17 16:32:44

If she's going for 7/8 at maths GCSE she may find A-level a struggle.

catslife Thu 02-Feb-17 17:02:50

Would be a shame not to have English when it's one of her strongest subjects. I would swap one subject for English Lit for a bit more variety. This also has the advantage of being a facilitating subject.

EvilTwins Thu 02-Feb-17 18:05:51

If she's going for 7/8 at maths GCSE she may find A-level a struggle.

Given that a 9 is higher than an A*, how would an 8 be an issue??

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 18:13:39

Thing is witch a 7 will be around the level of a current A/B & an 8 around a current A/A* but no one knows grade boundaries yet.

She's adamant she doesn't want to do English Lit. Says she hates writing about writing even though she's really good at it. Tried to persuade her to do drama instead of triple science but she said she didn't like the GCSE drama course when it was explained to her even though she loves acting.

sendsummer Thu 02-Feb-17 18:17:12

I imagine that is rather a heavy essay work load. Has she considered drama /theatre studies instead of economics if she really does not want to do English lit? That would complement her dance ambitions and use her ability in English as well as be a bonus for her other subjects and MUN etc.

sendsummer Thu 02-Feb-17 18:18:27

Cross posted. Perhaps suggest that she looks at new drama specification?

itssquidstella Thu 02-Feb-17 18:23:43

I actually think that's a really good combination, especially if her plan A is to pursue a more vocational career anyway. The one thing I might point out is that only Economics is a facilitating subject, where some high-ranking universities prefer a candidate to have two.

That said, both Politics and Philosophy are well-respected courses, and if she enjoys synthesising large volumes of material and doesn't find essay writing too challenging, she shouldn't be put off by the combination.

In my opinion, Philosophy is a more interesting course than RS - all of the ethics with none of the learning biblical quotations!

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 18:24:24

Theatre Studies isn't offered at the school we are looking at. It is offered at her current school but they only offer 2 a levels alongside a vocational diploma.

There is a huge FE college that offers pretty much everything & the only entry criteria are Grade C equivalent as opposed to this school which is selective (her brother is in lower school & she went to the linked junior school).

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 18:26:25

Meant to say I think she will find the huge college a culture shock having been used to very small schools (she has aspergers)

sashh Thu 02-Feb-17 18:33:00

If she's going for 7/8 at maths GCSE she may find A-level a struggle

Er, no teacher I know is predicting a 9, simply because no one knows what it looks like.

Has she had a look at BTEC health and social care? It would get her on to a physio course (would need an A Level as well for more competitive unis, but not all) and there is quite a l;ot of sociology / social science on it.

No RE per se but lots of looking at equality and diversity and how you can meet the needs of someone of a particular faith.

titchy Thu 02-Feb-17 18:54:13

A 7 will be an A, not an A/B.

A 6 is a medium to high B, 5 a low B/high C.

A level Maths from an A grade GCSE is perfectly doable.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 19:11:01

Also raking note that the content of the new GCSE is much harder.

titchy Thu 02-Feb-17 19:27:02

A harder GCSE will be better preparation for A level!

The same proportion of students will be awarded 7, 8 and 9 as were awarded A and A*, so a 7 is definitely going to be require the same level of competence that current A grade students have.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 02-Feb-17 19:45:58

As her grades you have given are all numbers, I'm guessing that she won't be starting A-level courses until September 2018. So she won't have to choose her A-level subjects for a while yet. Also, the middle of Y10 is very early to predict grades. Could those be target grades?

I would wait and see how things go over the next few months. In six or nine months time, her target grades may have changed and she may have different ideas about what subjects she enjoys most.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 02-Feb-17 19:48:35

Yes, I do realise we have a bit of time but she has to make decisions by September about the school(s) she will apply to

LIZS Thu 02-Feb-17 19:51:25

None of those are facilitating subjects, perhaps suggest one more traditional, such as biology (also useful for a physical career) or English.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 02-Feb-17 19:54:04

In that case I would review the situation at the end of Y10 or beginning of Y11. Most schools have exams or assessments at the end of Y10. By September 2017, the teachers will know how their first grade 9-1 year group have performed in English & Maths.

From those target grades, it sounds as though she would potentially be well-suited to studying A-levels before pursuing the dance training full-time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now