Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Academic scholarship process and tips - CLC

(21 Posts)
Pradaqueen Wed 01-Feb-17 23:11:27

Hello wise mumsnetters...

My DD has been invited for an academic scholarship assessment at Cheltenham ladies next week. We are really proud that she has done so well on the exam to be invited. That aside, although I don't expect the school to give chapter and verse as to what to expect, I literally have no clue as to what they might test over one and a half days following the already thorough entrance examination process. The letter indicates maths, English and science but her prep school (although great at a lot of things) is very poor on science and has no lab. Are the girls expected to know their way around a lab for example?

As a first time mum at this sort of thing, I wondered if anyone could give a steer on what to expect? She is not a nervous child so not worried, but I would like to have a chat to her about what to expect - that is, if I can find out what to expect!!

Thanks to anyone who can help and also provide advice as to boarding houses. So far I've seen bunwell (think this is the temp one?) and St. Helens, both of which are lovely. Not sure what I should be looking at?

Ojoj1974 Thu 02-Feb-17 08:17:45

My DD is going back on Monday for an interview with the Headmistress and a day of observations. I too have no idea how to help prepare her.

I did find an 11+ Science revision book on Amazon for an entrance exam to another school which was helpful although my DD isn't doing the scholarship exam to CLC.

Re houses we have only seen Farnley, she spent a weekend there last October and enjoyed it. Are you going on the 25th Feb to look around all the houses?

Good Luck

Pradaqueen Thu 02-Feb-17 12:09:29

Thanks OJO, I'll look that book up. My DD stayed at St Helens last October hence that's the one we know.

What is the interview with the head for? She does seem lovely so I'd imagine she'd want to hear your daughter's thoughts.

Maybe someone in the know will come along....

Lottie4 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:45:27

My DD went applied for music scholarships last year and as part of the application had to sit entrance exams, all her exams were paper based with no practical. She was asked questions about things she hadn't studied. One of the schools told us she made a note on the paper she hadn't studied whatever and then went ahead and had a go and they commended her on this. Mine hadn't been to a prep school, so I've no idea what the norm is but it worked for mine. Also, both schools said she clearly knew what she wanted to achieve and was enthusiastic. She met the Warden, Head of Music and Head of Sixth Form (separately) and I don't think it was too onerous.

Pradaqueen Thu 02-Feb-17 15:23:46

Thanks Lottie for your reply. It's really 11+ that I need to understand.

My DD has already had a full day's worth of entrance examination assessment. This was on top of a pre-application assessment day.This is now another day and a half of we-don't-know-what. Although my DD is not a panicker, she is only 10 so I want to make it as stress free as possible for her.

It's really the unknown of the second day and a half that I want to understand fully.

pusspusslet Thu 02-Feb-17 15:59:46

Hi OP,

I have no involvement with CLC, but have you seen this on the website?

"Applications [for academic scholarships] are welcomed at 11+, 12+, 13+ and 16+ and girls will take part in additional assessments as part of the application process. For Lower College applicants, this takes place once a firm place has been offered and involves one or two days of exams, practical assessments, group and individual tasks and an interview with the Principal. "

Pradaqueen Thu 02-Feb-17 16:07:36

Thanks puss. Yes I have seen it. It's more of a 'what do they actually do' question?

pusspusslet Thu 02-Feb-17 22:48:47

Ah, okay. Well, very best of luck to your DD smile I hope someone with more info can come along to help x

Ojoj1974 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:53:55

Hi Pradaqueen, when is your DD going back? My D is there on Monday 6th. Are you looking at other options? How can I PM?

Pradaqueen Fri 03-Feb-17 06:05:48

Yes going on Monday/Tuesday. You can PM by using the blue 'person' shape at the top of the page

Middleoftheroad Fri 03-Feb-17 06:14:20

My DS state primary is not really big on science. he did take an independent school entrance scholarship test (for a maths scholarship) and while he did well in maths and eng he did not fare so well on science test (paper) as they just hadn't covered it in school. I wished I had prepped him for science.

Can you ask the school for a past paper at all?

Pradaqueen Fri 03-Feb-17 07:34:09

Thanks middle. CLC do not release past papers for any stage of the process which is fair enough. Tricky for prepping!

TRL Fri 03-Feb-17 09:35:05

Well done miniP! Prada, if you go onto the ISEB website under the parents section, you can find the 11+ Science syllabus and past papers. I'd expect the scholarship exams to be based on the same syllabus at 11+ but to require application of learnt facts in unfamiliar areas. (That's what our prep is preparing for Wycombe scholarship invitiation for Yr 6 anyway!):

www.iseb.co.uk/Parents/Examination-syllabuses-specimen-papers

V Well done to miniP!

sendsummer Fri 03-Feb-17 17:10:57

She is not a nervous child so not worried,
In that case she should have no problems. From what I have heard the tasks cannot be prepared for (which is the point) and many pupils at that age will not have any laboratory experiment experience for the science task.

Pradaqueen Fri 03-Feb-17 17:41:36

Ah thanks TRL. I bought the book suggested above kindly by OJO which she is currently devouringgrin.

highclere Mon 06-Feb-17 18:55:42

What an immensely rigorous process for your DD (and you!) @pradaqueen. I hope the process went well. I suspect you may have a tricky decision on your hands soon from the looks of your other thread!

Pradaqueen Mon 06-Feb-17 19:02:55

@highclere - thank you, yes it has been intense! She's now been offered her other boarding choice today also. The process to day has been intense to say the least but she has enjoyed the experience. The English has been particularly hard today...

highclere Tue 07-Feb-17 18:39:25

Fantastic, congratulations! Hope the rest of the scholarship went well. Can't imagine what it must be like to have to gear up so hugely at this point - you must be very proud!

Pradaqueen Tue 07-Feb-17 18:50:43

Thanks @highclere.

It was full on for the day and a half! Back home now and waiting for Orchestra concert grin

Ojoj1974 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:15:21

Pradaqueen - i have just pm you

SpikeStoker Tue 07-Feb-17 20:46:09

Sorry I've come to this thread late. I have a DD in LC1 at CLC and whilst I couldn't help you on the scholarship process I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. PM me if you need to know anything specific. Or message on here if more general. My DD loves CLC and we are so happy we chose it for her, it's a friendly and nurturing place with amazing opportunities for the girls. Congratulations to you and your DDs and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now