Talk

Advanced search

Year seven report

(23 Posts)
GwenCooper81 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:08:40

Afternoon,

I've just received my Dd's year seven report. I'm so so confused about it. No explanation is given and I just can't make out how it translates.
It give a current stage followed by expected stage. Is this for now? The end of year 7/ ks3?!
Do the stages equate to a predicted GCSE grade? Or are they the same as the old NC levels ( used for sats etc).
I've googled yet all I can find is the end of year 9 results.
Any advice would be lovely ( and yes I'll be speaking to the school as soon as)
Thank you.

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Feb-17 16:10:35

No one can help you I'm afraid. The government scrapped levels and told schools to do their own thing so now no one knows what's going on.

You should have had an explanation along with the report!

TeenAndTween Wed 01-Feb-17 16:11:34

There is no standard for school reports.
There is no standard for attainment in y7-9 now NC levels have been scrapped.

The only thing anyone on here can reasonably tell you is to ask the school.

I continue to be shocked at how many schools seem to put out reports without accompanying explanations.

GwenCooper81 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:17:08

I think I'm going to cry! Thanks you all. Nope no explanation just a weird series of spider type graphs!
I'm usually pretty clued up but this is ridiculous sad

LittleBoat Wed 01-Feb-17 16:19:45

Email/ring the school and ask for an explanation. I did this and various teachers then rang me back to explain where dd was up to in each lesson.

GwenCooper81 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:26:30

Well.. I've found a brief description document on the school's website but it's still no clearer. It just explains what the report as a whole means rather than any tangible attainment. She's got mostly outstanding for behaviour and effort of which I'm very proud.
Stupid government and stupid me for not getting it!

Peanutbutterrules Wed 01-Feb-17 17:10:46

Stupid government only. School reports should be clear and easy for everyone to understand.

thisagain Wed 01-Feb-17 21:37:10

We've just had Yr 10 interim school reports out and were told at a parents evening that there would be 3 grades - (1) their optimistic prediction for the end of Yr 11 (2) their snapshot gaade (where they are now (3) their predicted grade based on (2). They mistakenly called them end of year targets and predictions and the teachers are totally confused. Some understood it was end of year 11 and some thought it was for end of year 10. Consequently the report is a nonsense! Im sure it's not you being stupid.

user1484226561 Thu 02-Feb-17 05:20:26

total confusion reigns!
as a result of constantly changing policies, contradictory instructions from ofsted, school management frequently trying to change horses mid stream, the average teacher having no time to attempt to sit down and unscramble the chaos they are presented with, and the poor quality and unreliability of school computer systmes, which frequently fail to save data even if it has been entered correctly.

If its any consolation, all these target grades, aspirational grades, predicted grades, current grades, etc, are all pretty meaningless anyway,

and no teacher spending a reasonable time on planning and marking will have the free time to worry about this or engage with it

so it would worry me more if they are clear and accurate, than if they are a meaningless jumble.

GwenCooper81 Thu 02-Feb-17 09:44:45

Thanks all. I'm going to email the school in a min. I'm just looking at her expected marks and her actual marks and in most subjects she's exceeding her target. Her best friend ( who's report I've seen) seems to be in higher groups ( her targets are higher) but the actual achieved levels are the same. Does that make sense? Any advice on that aspect? Thanks all again.

noblegiraffe Thu 02-Feb-17 10:54:33

None of it makes sense. Anything regarding attainment, especially targets will be a bunch of made-up numbers.

There are no targets at the moment, we don't have enough data to generate anything with even remote accuracy. However schools are still expected to generate data for reports so across the country dice are being rolled and the results sent out to parents.

TBH I'd ignore the lot. Her teachers seem to think she is working well.

GwenCooper81 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:12:37

Thanks giraffe. Trying to take heart from the excellent marks for behaviour effort and homwork.

creamycrackers Thu 02-Feb-17 11:55:16

Ds had similar but his are progress checks, I think he has 4..maybe 5 a year. His has similar about the GCSE equivalent at the bottom of the report but it does say 'present grade' and then 'expected grade at the end of year 7' at the top, so I'm not sure if your Ds's is the same. Like others have said its hard to decide as the government keep fannying about with levels.

user1486036448 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:07:04

I am in the same position, they have given me a guidance booklet but it makes no sense! What I don't understand is are they grading children now on the new GCSE grades 1-9 at their current level or what they expect of them? And I know its hard to ask as all kids are different, but what is a good grade (or number now!) for this stage for Year 7. Its so so confusing!! I will try school too, perhaps if we both post what they say it will help others?!

creamycrackers Thu 02-Feb-17 13:56:03

user If I'm reading my Ds's correctly he is a 1+ for English now and his end of year target is 2+ (new GCSE grade system) which means he is already the equivalent to an F using the old GCSE grades. However he is a 3B for french (he only did bits of french in primary school) so seems like his school have stuck with the old curriculum levels to me. Going by that,I'm guessing he is already working at GCSE levels on some subjects.

GwenCooper81 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:46:43

Well I've just phoned school. Key points from a very long conversation are..

Assesments took place Nov 2016 and the reports have just been issued.
A more up to date report is being prepared for March.

The levels are specific to her academy trust but will have national similarities.

Her levels ( for example English 2.8) are on a line graph .. 2.8 equals a high grade 'c' or a low 'B'. That's her actual level.. her expected one is 3.1 which will be a solid 'B' at GCSE. She's below her level for English but it's odds on it will have risen by March (or indeed now ).

Even the assistant head seemed confused

The levels are fluid. Something I was worried about.. so in subjects she's exceeding at her (expected) levels will rise with her. I'm glad to hear that.. I hate the thought of year 6 sats being the be all and end all of what papers she can take at GCSE.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope some of what I've found out helps someone.

TeenAndTween Thu 02-Feb-17 14:56:13

So they are saying her level now 2.8 means that in 4 years time she should be high C / low B ? Whereas she is expected to be on 3.1 now leading to a solid B at GCSE?

That all sounds very precise to me!

GwenCooper81 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:07:56

It does Tween. Theres a small ( tiny) line graph on the trust's website which backs it up.
They think she'll have moved on from Nov ( bloody November.. it's Jan now!).
I'm happy but not too fussed. Seems I worried too soon but on the other hand it's an almighty balls up report wise!

noblegiraffe Thu 02-Feb-17 16:29:54

So a 2.8 will lead to a 5 but a 3.1 will lead to a 6, and they think they can fine tune assessment to 1 decimal place in Y7?

They are having a laugh. Honestly, that's so bullshit it's embarrassing.

Basically They're saying your DD is currently a middling student. Doing fine, should pass her GCSEs.

leesmum Thu 02-Feb-17 17:33:03

My Ds1 is in yr7 and I'm waiting for his report, I was sent this off another parent, hope it helps smile

GwenCooper81 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:17:50

I have no idea. I'm only going in what the school have told me. Bullshit or not I've got nothing else really to go on.
Thanks Leesmum.

wtffgs Fri 03-Feb-17 09:40:52

DD's form tutor told me (quietly) to ignore Y7 predicted grades as they are computer-generated rather than based on teacher expertise. The latter relies on professional judgement and sound knowledge of the child.

GwenCooper81 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:48:40

Thanks wtffgs. I do understand that. Completely. I hate all the box ticking that needs to be done ( as do the teachers I'm very sure!). My worry was more than she was needing extra help and I was missing it.
Hey ho. I'll have another to read in March 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now