Talk

Advanced search

What do you know about Marymount International ??

(11 Posts)
Mumofthreelondon Sun 29-Jan-17 22:35:54

Any views? I really like it when I visit but can't find too many reviews - Any help appreciated ?!?

teddygirlonce Wed 01-Feb-17 11:52:03

Live in the right part of London to know about this school but it just doesn't seem to be on (m)any people's radar at all. One very seldom even hears it mentioned in conversations about schools in SW London.

I only know of one family who even considered it for their DD. However, they were newly arrived in the UK and so not particularly au fait with the merits (or otherwise) of local state or private secondary school options.

I am under the impression that most of the girls there come from overseas?

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Mary21 Wed 01-Feb-17 14:24:48

Expensive

agapanthii Wed 01-Feb-17 14:49:56

I know a couple of families who have used it, happily. All similar routes - an international school for international 'trailing' families who have often experienced several different education systems, often multilingual children, who due to their international, often nomadic experience may not slot so easily into the local super-selectives in the area. (most of the other private options locally are very selective indeed and difficult to enter outside of normal, highly competitive entry points.) So it serves a purpose.

jeanne16 Wed 01-Feb-17 16:38:48

It offers the IB which is attractive to many people. However it has a very transient population with girls coming and going as their parents move countries.

yingyingh Mon 26-Mar-18 09:07:38

Hi agapanthii,
Would any of your friends who has sent their daughters to Marymount be happy to share their experience? We are seriously considering the school and would love to gain more insights. Thanks!

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 26-Mar-18 22:07:03

A couple of my friends' children went there and their daughters did extremely well in the IB, and both were very happy there. We considered Marymount for our two, but didn't feel it would be a good fit for them.

yingyingh Tue 27-Mar-18 00:27:46

Many thanks, MrsSchadenfreude. How would you compare the two systems, and what would you say the biggest difference is?

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 28-Mar-18 06:52:46

The IB is a hard slog with a huge amount of work. Only consider it if your daughter is a strong all rounder.

JoJoSM2 Wed 28-Mar-18 14:15:43

Ying, have a look at the IB organisation website. The international curriculum itself and the approach to education are very different from the UK system and more challenging. It appeals to international families as it's the same around the world so it's easy to change schools and countries.

yingyingh Mon 02-Apr-18 02:59:45

Thanks everyone! I think overall it looks very much in line of where we are now (we are moving to the UK from North America) and where she would like to be. Challenges are much welcome! : )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: