Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

GCSE statistics

(16 Posts)
kilmuir Sun 29-Jan-17 08:44:14

Tell me about it as we are at GCSE option stage.
DD is ok in Maths. Do you need to be a whizz

Crumbs1 Sun 29-Jan-17 08:50:00

Not really sure what question is but she needs to work hard and persist at things she finds challenging- just like all of us.

Bestthingever Sun 29-Jan-17 08:53:58

Maths is compulsory at GCSE.

ZombieApocalips Sun 29-Jan-17 08:54:42

Our local schools have the GCSE Statistics students do the exam in year 10 rather than year 11 so I'm guessing that it's slightly easier than HCSE maths (less content ?)

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 29-Jan-17 08:56:09

Are you talking about a GCSE in statistics as an option in its own right? It's not offered at our school, so I can't comment. But you might get better advice if you clarify your thread title.

RubyWinterstorm Sun 29-Jan-17 09:04:30

Our school offers it only to the top set

I think it is one of those options that is under revision/construction

Our school let parents vote to keep it as an option, even if it may not exist further down the line (same with "computing" which my DS is doing, but may not exist any more by the time he is in y11 shock hmmangry so he may suddenly be short of a gcse...)

The wanker Gove legacy

RubyWinterstorm Sun 29-Jan-17 09:05:52

To answer your question, no need to be a whizz, but need to be confident in maths.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 29-Jan-17 09:09:57

Computing will be available in the form of the new Computer Science GCSE. DS2 (Y10) has started this course (OCR board) and will take the GCSE in 2018. DS3 is also being offered it as an option, and would take the GCSE in 2020.

No idea about GCSE Statistics as their school doesn't offer it. DS2 will take GCSE Maths at the end of Y11 and a level 2 certificate in Further Maths at the same time.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Sun 29-Jan-17 09:12:30

Dd took stats in y10 and got an A. Maths is her weakest subject in which she got a B in Y11. So definitely don't need to be a whizz at Maths.

kilmuir Sun 29-Jan-17 09:41:26

Bestthingever , I know that , I am talking about Statistics not Maths

sashh Sun 29-Jan-17 09:47:58

(same with "computing" which my DS is doing, but may not exist any more by the time he is in y11 shock hmmangry so he may suddenly be short of a gcse...

ICT is disappearing, computing/computer science is firmly on the curriculum and included as an ebacc science.

RubyWinterstorm Sun 29-Jan-17 10:22:04

Really? Must have gotten mixed up sorry!

My DS is doing both

Apologies for misinformation

Witchend Sun 29-Jan-17 10:42:57

Dd1 did it last year in year 10 (top set).
Not quite sure what I think about it. She said the paper was really lots of explanations rather than calculations which would favour the hard worker who understands it rather than the mathematician.
They're doing maths and additional maths this year.

Iwantacampervan Sun 29-Jan-17 12:16:35

Neither of my daughters' school have statistics as one of their options - top sets sit the exam as an 'extra'. They don't take any exams early so statistics and additional maths filled up a good part of year 11. My eldest didn't particularly want to sit the exam/do statistics especially when she found out that the exam was on Monday morning and her previous exam had been on the Wednesday before. Youngest won't be sitting statistics - she's going to have to put a lot of effort in between now and May to get her 4!

lljkk Sun 29-Jan-17 12:25:25

Your school offers stats GCSE? Lucky you! Shortage of math teachers makes it unusual now.

DS got A in stats GCSE (1 yr condensed course finished in 2015). He's good at math but not amazeballs.

I'm good at math but struggle with stats... it's a different line of logic, similar skills but not the same as math (give me calculus instead, any day). Good GCSE to take because it's about evidence, we need more clued up people about what evidence means.

RubyWinterstorm Sun 29-Jan-17 12:53:40

At our comp, staff and parents agreed it was a good subject to take, as many degrees involve some kind of analysis of stats (eg Psychology) and it was a useful thing to learn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now