Talk

Advanced search

Being a bit dim about English Lang/Lit and Science Core/Additional!

(12 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Sat 28-Jan-17 13:44:26

I'm being dim not DS!

Are they treated as two separate exams with their own grades or combined? DS mentioned that for English you can choose the higher grade out of the two? That doesn't sound right to me?

Thanks.

SweepTheHalls Sat 28-Jan-17 13:45:51

Is it for exams this summer? If do, core and additional are complety separate GCSE 's, made up of 1 module each of biology, chemistry and physics and a controlled assessment.

LIZS Sat 28-Jan-17 13:47:32

English language and lit are usually separate although I think there is a board which offers a combined. Double science is one paper of each discipline, triple 2.

OddBoots Sat 28-Jan-17 13:49:44

Regarding English, I think your DS (or possibly, a teacher) is misunderstanding the attainment/progress 8 measures the school will be assessed against. As far as I know it makes no difference to the student themselves but the schools performance table results allow the school to use the higher of the two English grades in their results measure.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 28-Jan-17 13:50:08

Dds English tutor said something about this the other day to me which was the first I'd heard of it and she's in year 11.

Have copied and pasted the message she sent me;

With the new progress 8 measure, they actually take whichever is better out if language and literature and double it, so essentially you get points for three GCSEs for English overall, and either can be up your score and help get you in to college or sixth form!

I'm still confused but I think if she passes one and not the other it's ok?

PossumInAPearTree Sat 28-Jan-17 13:50:55

Ah, what OddBoots says makes more sense.

walruswhiskers Sat 28-Jan-17 13:51:09

Engl Lang and eng lit have always been 2 separate qualifications - still the case. It is also true that you can choose your better grade to be your "English" grade now, the other one just goes into the pool of other passes.

OddBoots Sat 28-Jan-17 14:41:40

I might be wrong but I have just looked at a few local colleges and their entry requirements and they all specify English Language where English is mentioned at all.

I guess the important thing is what the particular destination the student is looking to thinks about it as they get to choose their own entry requirements.

Jungfraujoch Sat 28-Jan-17 15:34:03

Thank you all!

So, English Lit and Lang are separate. Re Science DS is not doing triple science. He is doing Core and Additional plus controlled assessment so presume still 2 separate exams?

OddBoots Sat 28-Jan-17 15:53:09

It may depend on the exam board but in my experience for core and additional science it is 6 exams; 1 for each of the three sciences at core and 1 for each of the sciences at additional. The end result will be 2 GCSE grades.

SweepTheHalls Sat 28-Jan-17 17:23:12

6 exams on AQA

sashh Sun 29-Jan-17 10:35:19

Are they treated as two separate exams with their own grades or combined? DS mentioned that for English you can choose the higher grade out of the two? That doesn't sound right to me?

It's the new attainment 8 that schools are being judged on. Basically it is the ebacc subjects plus another couple.

The first 'buckets' are English and maths and they are double weighted. Students have to do \Language and Lit but only the higher grade is counted, so A in Lit and B in Language your A will be counted, the B grade can be used to fill one of the option buckets.

Link to one of the less confusing explanations.

www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/attainment-8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now