Talk

Advanced search

Is history AND politics A level pointless/overkill?

(10 Posts)
DorothyL Tue 24-Jan-17 20:19:10

Are they too similar or do they complement each other?

Dd also wants to take French and either German or Philosophy.

German would be the easy choice because she is near-native.

Lapinlapin Tue 24-Jan-17 20:26:17

I think it's quite a common combination because they do compliment each other. However, both subjects require quite a lot of reading and essay writing, so still hard work.

DorothyL Tue 24-Jan-17 21:28:03

She likes writing essays and reading so that's fine

Birdandsparrow Tue 24-Jan-17 21:30:15

I did History, Government and Politics and English Literature A levels and went on to study a BSc Econ in International Relations (politics). Really enjoyed the A levels and the degree. This was in the 90s.

itssquidstella Tue 24-Jan-17 21:35:37

No, it's a great combination - both develop similar skills and complement each other, and both are looked on favourably by universities. Philosophy on top will be a LOT of reading, though: I know some pupils who cope well with this, but others who find it overwhelming.

Lapinlapin Tue 24-Jan-17 22:13:23

Arggh! Just spotted my previous typo blush

I agree that Philosophy as well would be a lot. French and German would be good, as she'd get good at exam technique and be familiar with the style of questions etc (provided both languages use the same board that is.)

Twozealotmorethan1 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:18:13

Depends on the curriculum for each.
I did History, Law and French many years ago for A level. I then did Internationals Studies plus French at uni.
I regret not attempting one science A level though, even Economics.
And in some ways I wish I'd done a different degree, but am very glad to have an additional language and international perspective.

Twozealotmorethan1 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:19:00

Yes, lots of essays and a very sore writing hand if the exam schedule is unkind, as it was when I sat my exams.

LIZS Tue 24-Jan-17 22:24:01

Ds did both at a level with English Lit. Both essay intensive but different . Now doing a politics and ir degree.

lauryloo Tue 24-Jan-17 22:31:29

I did both and found they complimented one another. Most of those doing politics were also doing history in my year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now