Talk

Advanced search

A vocab list for Y11 suggestion, please!

(5 Posts)
Draylon Mon 23-Jan-17 15:25:36

Like another poster, I have a DS who doesn't read. He got a 4 in his Eng Lit (and Lang..) mock, tho is predicted a 6.

Our strategy is for him to memorise as many quotes as possible, actually study the study guides, but he has asked me if I can find a list of more sophisticated words for him to consider using.

Any ideas?

Someone recommended an American site which at first glance seemed useful, but within moments it became quite obscure with a few words I couldn't define and I have an English A level! We're looking for a list of words that, used sensibly, will lift language from 'basic' to a more solid pass.

Draylon Mon 23-Jan-17 15:28:53

I found this but I think even this is a bit too sophisticated!

ZombieApocalips Mon 23-Jan-17 18:28:16

My son's asked me the same! He started off watching The Big Bang Theory and noting some of the longer words. He's picked up words like penultimate, posthumous and tries to use them the next day at school.

On weekends he reads a newspaper. Not all of it naturally but he's picked up phrases like raison d'etre (!!) which isn't very teen but sounds sophisticated. Last week he read a mid-week issue of "i" which is a short version of the Independent and designed for people who want broadsheet reporting but little time to read.

portico Tue 24-Jan-17 10:30:34

I thought the URL link of 100 key words was impressive. I would consider Cloze exercises, so that students can assess the words in context. The 11 plus FIrst Past the Post Cloze books 1 and 2 contain much the same words. They are concise and cheap. And, yes, they are at a level for GCSE grade 7 aspirants.

LucyCallaghan Tue 24-Jan-17 11:10:16

I too thought the vocabulary list was very good and I've printed it off to use with DD. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now