Talk

Advanced search

Will having no option to do an AS disadvantage my DD in top uni applications?

(9 Posts)
geasley Mon 23-Jan-17 12:08:58

My DD's school have announced that they are dropping the AS, stating that the assessment objectives in some subjects are different at AS and A level, dictating that the material had to be taught in different ways/order sequence. They also say that as AS qualification is now only worth 40% of an A level, and so universities are less likely to take account of them as they begin to disappear. Other good schools in the area are fiercely supporting the AS, paying a premium so they can continue to offer them. My DD is moving up to 6th form in Sept...will she be at a disadvantage applying to Uni with 3 A levels, and no AS? Please help!!!

Meloncoley2 Mon 23-Jan-17 12:28:04

She will be fine. Schools are dropping AS as the A level course is a complete 2 year course. The only advantage to doing an AS level now is for those who drop out after one year, who previously did leave with something for their efforts

ifonly4 Mon 23-Jan-17 14:25:57

My DD originally considered three schools, two in county, one out, all of which no longer offer AS levels! One school is offering an extra GCSE but the school have to be sure they'd be capable and can could cope with it.

bojorojo Mon 23-Jan-17 14:36:23

Universites are no longer expecting candidates to have AS. The big advantage of AS was that students studied four or more subjects to AS, then often chose three to A2. Now the universities are back to the old method of looking at educational results from age 16. So GCSEs will really matter. If the A level exams are finals at the end of Y13, there are no AS exams.

The much more important issue, is the subjets she takes and making sure they are suitable for what she may want to do at university. Do they give sufficient options if she changes her mind? Also, her results!

geasley Mon 23-Jan-17 18:09:21

Thanks for your advice....really helpful. Will now forget about AS, and concentrate on the rest!

user1484226561 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:53:23

ASs are obsolete and irrelevant

Geraldthegiraffe Mon 23-Jan-17 19:55:54

So are we back to 3 a levels, or is everyone now magically supposed to manage 4?!

user1484226561 Mon 23-Jan-17 20:19:42

some do 3 some do 4

Rosieposy4 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:38:18

All the schools i know of are/have dropped ASs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now