Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Streatham & Clapham Secondary School - Musical evening

(10 Posts)
mariflo82 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:29:06

Hi all... Newbie here smile

I have a question my DD recently went for interviews and exams at SCSG. We haven't had the results or a decision yet but we received an email today inviting us to a musical evening the school is hosting. I'm not sure if I should take this as a good sign, would they really invite girls to their play if they had no intention of offering them a place?

I was wondering if anyone else has/had a daughter there or has applied for a place and if this is just an invitation extended to all.

any insight would be greatly received.

thanks smile

mariflo82 Sat 21-Jan-17 15:29:36

small bump smilesmile

AnotherNewt Sun 22-Jan-17 11:18:49

I don't know for sure, I think they do send out invitations to events at the school to candidates (and of course events aren't timetabled around the admissions cycle).

I'd always assumed it was to foster good feeling towards the school (and give opportunities for families to see it other than at open days). No idea what might lie behind this particular timing.

I think the school has a lovely atmosphere.

mariflo82 Sun 22-Jan-17 11:41:20

Thank you for your reply.

I'm such an over thinker and I'm trying (but clearly failing) not to overthink. My DD has done all their testing and met ther staff and she loved it there.

she'd be gutted to be invited to an event at the school to then be told she never got admitted sad

Either way, we'll go as it would be great to see the show the girls have put on smile

AnotherNewt Sun 22-Jan-17 14:35:08

How long until offers day for you?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 23-Jan-17 08:25:24

In my experience SCHS make a lot of offers and then try hard to encourage girls to chose them. It's getting more competitive (and it is a good school) but it's still the case that the majority of girls who also get an offer from JAGS, Alleyn's or Emanuel will take that instead. I would be surprised if your dd didn't get an offer especially if she made her enthusiasm for the school clear during the assessment process - good luck!

mariflo82 Mon 23-Jan-17 13:01:28

@AnotherNewt - they said early Feb.. checking the mailbox everyday and its not even feb yet lol

@Noitsnotteatimeyet thanksfor that input, my DD really liked it there (and Sydenham) so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the invitation is a positive sign and not just a general invite they send to all the 350+ girls who applied.

This is so nerve racking, I think I am worrying way more than my DD is!!!

smile

AnotherNewt Thu 02-Feb-17 06:56:01

Just (nosily) wondering how it's going

notnjork Thu 02-Feb-17 20:30:24

I don't think it's true that girls automatically take JAGS/Alleyns these days (don't think it was ever true re Emanuel which has always been thought of as similarly academic to SCHS anyway).

At DD's school 4 out of 5 girls accepted their SCH places last year whilst all the girls with JAGS, WHS, PHS offers turned them down (including scholarship offers). One girl accepted Alleyns.

Admittedly SCH is much more local to most of them, but I think the perceived gap between them is closing and not everyone wants the same thing educationally.

Hope you get good news soon mariflo - it is a great school.

fernest Sun 12-Feb-17 13:08:44

Did your daughter get a place Marieflo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now