Talk

Advanced search

Wales new maths gcse anyone waiting for results

(4 Posts)
Berthatydfil Thu 19-Jan-17 00:37:53

Grade boundaries released at midnight quite bizarre. A star 107 marks. Old Linear results released last week A star was 152 marks. Both papers marked out of 160
Does this mean marks have plummeted on these papers?

CharleyDavidson Fri 20-Jan-17 00:03:13

We were waiting for the results, but don't have anything to compare to so don't know. DD has an A* in maths and an A in numeracy.

I'm very proud.
She's harsh on herself because she missed the * by 6 marks.

I truly hate target and predicted grades, but that's another conversation entirely!

PantyLiner Fri 20-Jan-17 00:48:02

My DS gained 2 B's - in Maths and Numeracy. However he was expecting A's. Most of his friends gained C's and below (also, otherwise, A students). Only one in his class gained an A and an A*. Shocking!!

Berthatydfil Fri 20-Jan-17 12:47:33

2As here but a little disappointed tbh when he told me but then he said School would have expected 20/25 A stars in previous years but got 3 or 4 with 2 and another one or 2 with A A star. So in context ok really. Teachers were telling them with about 2 weeks to go that they hadn't covered the entire syllabus and to cover the missing topics st home. I would say that if he was sitting in the summer and had covered the syllabus then he would have got the A star.
Doesn't want to do a level maths so it's not worth resitting as I would prefer him to concentrate on the other subjects.

I do think it's going to take a few years to settle down and I suspect that many schools will start teaching the syllabus at the start of year 9.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: