Talk

Advanced search

Urgent advice please - Spanish speaking CA

(11 Posts)
Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 19:00:48

Ds has just returned to school after a period of illness which lasted for six weeks. During this time he missed his Spanish GCSE controlled assessment. Teacher had said he could do it on Thursday but he wasn't ready and he didn't.

Despite having spent a considerable amount of time on it he has now got himself into a complete state of panic and is terribly upset.

Obviously I need to speak to the teacher but what are the likely options? What could I request?

He was/ is top set hoping for an A.

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 15-Jan-17 19:26:38

Did he speak to the teacher on Thursday? If so, what was the outcome? If not, I think speaking to the teacher asap is necessary, but he probably needs to do it, not you.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 19:30:50

No he told the teacher he forgot about it. Which wasn't true and was very immature of him. He is year 10 so just started the GCSE.

citrinelles Sun 15-Jan-17 19:52:56

Spanish teacher here. There shouldn't be a problem re-arranging it, if he is yr 10 there is plenty of time and the teacher should be co-operative given how long he has been off sick. At this stage you don't really need to intervene, just make sure he goes to speak to her tomorrow. It would be good if he is ready but if not please tell him to be truthful - she will want the best possible result for him! If there are any issues contact his head of Year who will definitely intervene. This is a result of illness so they aren't breaking any rules allowing him to do his at a later date than the rest of the class.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 20:45:57

Ok thank you. His confidence after the illness is very low and unfortunately most teachers are putting on a lot of pressure to catch up missed work. I will tell him to talk to her tomorrow.

clary Sun 15-Jan-17 20:58:18

I am sure he could do it at a time to suit. There is no rule that CAs have to be done at a specific time.

I teach MFL and my year 11s did a speaking CA last Friday but in fact a couple were off school and another came to me and pleaded not to do it then... I asked them this week which day next week suited them best, in a free of mine or after school, they have told me and we are doing it then.

It only takes 5 mins so it's no issue to me :D

I would ask him to ask the teacher when he can do it this week - after school, at lunch, in form time maybe?

Just seen he is in year 10??? I don't understand why he is doing a CA at all, they have been got rid of <thank the lord>. Are you in UK OP?

clary Sun 15-Jan-17 20:59:36

Or is he doing the exam this year maybe - that would be possible of course.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 21:17:38

Yes in NI so in UK but different board.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 21:21:01

So year 11 here but equivalent of year 10 in rest of uk.

clary Sun 15-Jan-17 21:25:39

Oh OK. Do you mean he is doing GCSE next year, but in NI you are not doing the new GCSE which England is doing? If so then that makes sense. I think smile

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sun 15-Jan-17 21:42:07

Yes we have our own exam body here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now