Talk

Advanced search

Another GCSE options query - can Latin count as 'MFL'

(15 Posts)
sydenhamhiller Fri 13-Jan-17 08:51:54

I know Latin is hardly a modern language, but just wondering if it 'counts' as one for university admissions purposes?

DS at a SS grammar, not many options to choose from by the time you have to do double English, maths, 3 sciences - only 4 options left. Have to pick at least one of History and Geography, at least one of Latin, French/ German, and at least one of DT, Art, Computing, Music. (Then you have one free choice from any of the groups.)

DS, not even 13, has no idea what he wants to do later in life other than play Xbox, of course. We've said pick the subjects you enjoy, so he is super keen to stick with Latin, his favourite subject. He is not a massive fan of French, so quite keen to drop that, but I feel a bit twitchy. His current line-up is History, Geography, Latin, DT (surprise choice there). Shouldn't French be in there? But then he'd probably drop History! (DH and I did History in our degrees but are manfully trying not to show bias...)

Any experience/ advice? It feels way too soon to be at this stage: I've only just cleared out the 11+ books...

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 13-Jan-17 08:55:17

MFL GCSEs are irrelevant for university admissions purposes, so don't worry about it on that account.

(The one university, UCL, who still have an MFL 'requirement' say that if you don't have one already you can fulfill it by doing a language course in your first year.)

sydenhamhiller Fri 13-Jan-17 09:08:48

Thanks AtiaoftheJulii. I wonder if UCL would accept a Latin GCSE. I'm off to look at their admissions stuff... we're in London, so UCL could be a contender. Seems a shame to shut a door age 12.

mumsneedwine Fri 13-Jan-17 09:40:26

UCL do not require s language. All they say is if you don't have one then you need to do a language module in the first year. One of my DS's friends did this and loved it (having hated languages at school).

titchy Fri 13-Jan-17 09:56:47

You're not shutting any doors by taking Latin rather than an MFL. Even UCL's door remains open.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 13-Jan-17 10:04:26

I thought that's what I'd said grinwink Hopefully the op will now be reassured smile

Lapinlapin Fri 13-Jan-17 10:06:51

I'm guessing Latin would be fine. It counts as part of the ebac which just specifies a language rather than mfl.

So few students do languages these days that universities are having to adapt their courses so that students can do ab initio language courses etc, and languages as an 'add on ' rather than the main focus.

I know your question was about general entry requirements, I just mean that if you can study languages with very little background in mfl, then you can certainly study other subjects with no issues!

Latin is a brilliant subject and held in high regard, so I don't think it will penalise him.

Lapinlapin Fri 13-Jan-17 10:08:56

From UCL website:

UK students who do not have a GCSE grade C or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) on admission to UCL will be required to acquire an equivalent level of language proficiency once they are enrolled with us. This will either be through study for a specially designed certificate at the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE), or by taking a 0.5 CU (course-unit) course in a language as part of their degree programme.

myfavouritecolourispurple Fri 13-Jan-17 10:29:43

Latin is a great subject to do. I wish I had done it to GCSE. I gave it up at the end of what is now year 9. It's the one thing I would change if I had a TARDIS, I'd go back and choose to do that instead.

Rubyslippers7780 Fri 13-Jan-17 10:33:13

I did Latin to higher level ( Scotland) and have found it extremely useful.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Fri 13-Jan-17 10:35:00

DD1 did Latin GCSE - it's been the main talking point in job interviews (more so than her maths degree weirdly enough).

sydenhamhiller Fri 13-Jan-17 12:16:49

Aw, love mumsnet. Thanks everyone for that reassurance. (And love the fact that your DD's Latin GCSE is the talk of interviews MyVisionsComeFromSoup.)

eatingtomuch Fri 13-Jan-17 14:06:56

My DS took GCSE Latin and loved it. It remained his favourite subject.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 13-Jan-17 21:08:13

/sulks/ No one's ever asked me about my Latin O level!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 13-Jan-17 21:29:08

No one's ever asked me about my Lating GCSE either, Atia. I'll sulk with you.

Latin is a great subject option. Wish I'd continued it to Alevel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now