Talk

Advanced search

Can 6th forms in schools kick you out?

(10 Posts)
NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 20:00:45

Given that children have to stay in education until they are 18, what happens if they don't do well enough in 6th form to take A levels. Can they just kick you out halfway through the year?

titchy Mon 09-Jan-17 20:06:31

Yep. The responsibility is the parents' to find suitable education or training, not the schools to provide something which isn't suitable.

It's actually very common for kids who fail to get decent grades at AS to not be allowed back to complete their second year, and spend a frantic week trying to secure a place elsewhere. (At least 2 x D grades required here, and that's extremely lenient compared to many.)

Ilovecaindingle Mon 09-Jan-17 20:07:30

My 16 yo had exams before Xmas. If he doesn't pass he gets thrown off his courses. Being optimistic so didn't ask what will happen if he fails them!!

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Mon 09-Jan-17 20:08:38

Oh yes. Just because they have to be in education it's not up to the school, unlike compulsory education. (And I'm not sure how kids who leave are monitored anyway) Saying that, our school does give students many chances before kicking them out, but I know local 6th form college are a lot stricter.

LadyShakespeare Mon 09-Jan-17 20:13:15

It's a well-kept secret amongst schools that if they accept a student into the VI form, they can't actually then make them leave on account of poor AS results. Many do, but they shouldn't. (They can persuade students that it is in their own best interest, but that's a different matter.)

They are however entirely at liberty to set an entrance threshold into Year 12, and refuse entry to any student failing to meet it.

NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 20:14:18

So they can be kicked out in January and not be able to do anything until September?

titchy Mon 09-Jan-17 20:37:38

They can be kicked out yes. Why would they have to wait till September though? If they're not academic an apprenticeship, or an FE college may well have spaces for a January starter.

NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 20:40:31

I didn't know you could start at college in January. The person in question wants to do A levels, and isn't doing well enough to stay where he is.

MayhemandMadness01 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:45:04

If he isn't suceeding with As where he us then AND he has worked hard, then its a slim chance that he will suceed at As elsewhere. Look at different qualifications - his learning style may be better suited to them.

NicknameUsed Mon 09-Jan-17 20:49:31

I think you are right. I don't know the full story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now