Talk

Advanced search

Finding the right 'level' of private secondary school.

(20 Posts)
roseshippy Mon 09-Jan-17 14:40:58

So DD is Y5 at prep school. School from experience won't be helpful in finding a school for Y7 (they will want her to stay and leave at 13).

We went through this with DS and it was obvious that he was good at maths and bad at organising himself and what not, and we were able to find an 'academic' school that seemed suitable.

Now for DD we are a bit confused, I suspect she doesn't want/wouldn't get into a 'top 50 in the country' type school, but I'm just wondering how to find the right level, as we don't have much to go on....

Is there an online test somewhere, or?

FanDabbyFloozy Mon 09-Jan-17 14:50:35

Is there an experienced tutor locally who could assess her and give an honest view on her strengths and weaknesses?

In my opinion, the tutors are able to predict possible outcomes well in the independent sector (but not state super-selectives where the numbers are huge).

I did this recently with my DC and found it enormously helpful. I asked lots of probing qs on why the tutor thought my child was a "top 50 type of school" kid, just to make sure this wasn't a sales pitch!

bojorojo Mon 09-Jan-17 17:53:50

Do you not know where she "sits" in her prep school regarding ability in her year group? I was always pretty much aware of where my DDs were. There are loads of schools from 50 - 250 which would suit. Near me is a very popular girls' senior school and that is rarely in the top 200. It is a brilliant school though. It really brings out the best in the pupils. Where do you Iive? Can we suggest any schools?

roseshippy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:56:49

I think she is in bottom set of everything, but at the bottom of that set, IYSWIM. The teachers never have much to say about her, unlike her brother. Everything is 'fine'. She is a July child, if that makes a difference.

I think she did a CAT test thing, probably around 105 -110 range? I don't really remember.

roseshippy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:57:55

We were looking at schools in Guildford/Ascot/Chertsey area.

poisonedbypen Mon 09-Jan-17 19:08:36

Licensed Victuallers good for that sort of child I would have thought. They do well with all comers at GCSE, A level not so much.

bojorojo Mon 09-Jan-17 21:13:07

Heathfield at Ascot takes day girls and you don't need to be bright to go there. LV not brilliant in my view. Mine was an August birthday - I think they catch up! As you are paying, why can't the prep school advise? You are paying for this!

bojorojo Mon 09-Jan-17 21:13:48

Where are the other girls in her set likely to go?

WhatAPigsEar Mon 09-Jan-17 21:26:46

Does your current school do CAT testing? You could ask for the results of these, which you are entitled to. Some secondary schools will give you an idea of minimum CAT scores expected. I'm not sure but you might be able to get CAT tests at home otherwise.
Also, what is dd good at/interested in? Academics/games/drama/etc. Look for a school with good facilities in the relevant area.
Also, most school do pre tests in year 6 for year 9 entry anyway so your current school should help you to start looking sooner rather than later

WhatAPigsEar Mon 09-Jan-17 21:30:12

Sorry I wrote my reply earlier but pressed post just now without seeing the other replies. But my advice about pre tests in year 6 still stands

Threeschools Mon 09-Jan-17 21:33:21

why don't you want her to stay until 13? In your position I would apply to a range of schools that I like after visiting and hope for the best. You would also need a tutor as your school will not prepare for the 11+. Do girls also have to do pre tests in year 6 for the 13+? Your prep school will then be obliged to recommend schools.

roseshippy Mon 09-Jan-17 21:51:27

Sorry, rather fatal error in previous post:

"I think she is in bottom set of everything, but at the bottom of that set, IYSWIM. "

I meant the TOP of that set.

I'm not that keen on LVS. She likes art, she's essentially lazy but maybe that's our fault, reasonably well organised, quite good at making friends but not pushy or stuck up compared with some of the other girls.

bojorojo Tue 10-Jan-17 00:19:50

Most girls' schools do not pre test test in y6. They start at y7 e.g. Cheltenham Ladies, Wycombe Abbey, Downe House, Heathfield etc. although you can apply for Y9 if you wish. No girls' school pre tested for y9 entry as far as I am aware.

Established boys' and co-ed schools start at 13 so staying at the prep may be an option but if you join in Y9 in a girls' school, friendships have been made. Some Preps have very few children in y8 & 9 if most transfer at 11.

Heathfield is brilliant at Art. We found applying for Y7 easier as DDs did the school's own exams - not Heathfield by the way. Far less stress than CE at 13 and the Y8 curriculum was not stuffed full of revision. The curriculum was broader .

My DD2 was middling to bottom of middle set and bottom set for maths at her prep. We wanted boarding so had several options - we are in Bucks. If you could look at boarding there is more choice for the arty child who is less academic.

Swerab Tue 10-Jan-17 11:52:47

Keep her at the prep. They concentrate on them more in those final two years.

sayatidaknama Tue 10-Jan-17 14:00:57

We had an online tutor for DD1 for a few months (living abroad). He did some tests, probably CATs, not sure, then after a couple of weeks of "seeing" her he gave us a brutally honest assessment and told us where she would fail to get in at 11+ (most places). It was really useful.

If you can keep her where she is until 13+ I would. My DD was the same at that age - potentially able but a bit dithery and lacking in confidence. She's really taken off in last 2 years and is up there with the best of them.

GU24Mum Tue 10-Jan-17 23:06:30

I'd try and pin the school down a bit if you definitely at least want to think about a move after Y6. Have you looked at Priorsfield (just oustside Guildford) or Farnborough Hill? I live near one of the areas you have mentioned and used to live in another of them and there is a huge choice so I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

Mary21 Thu 12-Jan-17 16:47:01

SWPS?

Wriggle45 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:24:51

I have daughters at both SWPS and Priors Field..... both lovely schools, very different feels to them.... both worth a look!

roseshippy Fri 13-Jan-17 21:14:01

yes I think we will visit both of them, although neither is logistically very good for us.

Prior's Field is in the arse end of nowhere. I looked through their activities list, swimming at 7:15am with no transport, no thanks....

roseshippy Fri 27-Jan-17 15:49:55

Spoke to Head he said girls schools not as hard to get into as boys and basically she could probably get in anywhere apart from Guildford High.

So we will take a look at St Catz, Tormead, Fanny Hill, et al

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now