Talk

Advanced search

Have to make senior school decision today....

(12 Posts)
JJP123 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:53:25

Am struggling to make mind up between Hampton and CLFS and deposit due tomorrow for 13+ entry next Sept. Son is academic and sporty. School buses to both from where we live but CLFS closer.
Hampton seems a bit 'edgier' and forward thinking and sport definitely better but I like the house system and smaller numbers at CLFS.

Anyone give me any other things to consider to help me decide?? THANK YOU

NotThrowAwayMyShot Sun 08-Jan-17 14:56:17

Where does your son want to go?

JJP123 Sun 08-Jan-17 15:00:28

Well that's half the issue. He's as torn as we are! He went to a taster morning at Hampton and enjoyed the lessons but said a few of the boys were a bit 'annoying' so think that put him off. However as I've told him, there will be lots of other boys and boys everywhere that he will and won't like! He shouldn't make his decision based on a few boys....

NotThrowAwayMyShot Sun 08-Jan-17 15:14:40

I don't know the schools at all but a few things to consider.

Hampton starts age 11 - how will he integrate into already established groups?

CLFS is boarding? How will he feel about being a day student in a boarding school. My dd found this very difficult at first, it's better now since a small influx of new day students in Year 9 but she felt isolated socially. However CLFS seniors starts at 13 so apart from those moving up from juniors everyone will be in the same boat.

Was the taster day with existing students or other prospective students?

JJP123 Sun 08-Jan-17 15:21:45

Thank you.
CLFS is mainly day only. The boarding element is mainly oversees students. They only take 20 new pupils in at 13, so most will have been there since 7 or 11.
The taster day at Hampton was just new / prospective boys.
Hampton do a good job at mixing the new (65 boys) who join as they mix all the classes up and existing boys will only be with a few from the last 2 years.

NotThrowAwayMyShot Sun 08-Jan-17 15:27:14

In which case I wouldn't set much store by the taster day. My daughter's school has certain set lessons for taster days, dd did two the same! One in year 5 for prospective applicants & one in year 6 with others who had accepted places.

The annoying boys may not have been offered a place or decided to accept a place.

ilovegreen Sun 08-Jan-17 19:16:20

Boys only vs co-ed seems one of the biggest differences to me. Plus traffic around Hampton Court bridge might add to the decision for me. Both great schools though so you can't really go wrong.

Pop2 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:50:42

A vote for Hampton.

SAHDthatsall Sun 08-Jan-17 20:14:26

How sporty is he and in which sports? Hampton do football and I don't think clfs does and for good footballers the quality of the pitches and training and opposition is very good. Same for cricket. The two schools would rarely face each other at cricket as Clfs is a level below.

JJP123 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:27:43

He loves cricket first and foremost. A/ B team level at a sporty prep school and local team. Football other love. He's not brilliant, but very committed and b level I would say.
I just don't want him to get lost in a big school but he has a big personality, despite being a little thing, so expect he'd be fine?!

kidstaxidriver Sun 08-Jan-17 20:55:31

If your son is a cricket lover then the Head of Cricket at CLFS would swing it for me - Neil Stewart - highly respected Surrey coach and runs the elite performance squad at Surrey!!
However others have raised other relevant points to consider - CLFS generally only take 20 kids at 13+. The majority have been there since the age of 7 as there is only 20 kids taken at 11+ also.
Good luck with your decision. Sure both are great options to have!

SAHDthatsall Sun 08-Jan-17 21:38:24

I don't think he would get lost at Hampton. There are plenty of diverse characters. I like the double lunchtime and that generally means not staying after school and missing the coach. Having said that DS did various things last year which meant having to pick him up after school which was a pain as no easy public transport to us.

I wouldn't be swayed by Freemans Head of cricket as he will only have any interest in potential county players and the First XI at school as most heads of cricket do! At Hampton to make the U14A team next year for example when he joins I would guess all 11 will be county age group or district/borough level FYI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now