Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vocabulary extension/support for good reader?

(16 Posts)
FranHastings Sat 07-Jan-17 12:08:21

DD was assessed using the Accelerated Reading Programme as having a reading age of 16 yrs 6 months at the beginning of year 7.

She came home yesterday saying they'd had another assessment and she felt it was hard because it included words she'd never encountered due to the higher reading age. She's fine about it, her teacher talked to her about it, however she did express an interest in looking for something that could extend her knowledge further.

She's a voracious reader and we are starting to find a bit of a clash between her age and reading material at a suitably challenging level. I'm fine with not censoring what she reads (mostly!) as I know we can talk through anything she finds upsetting. I guess exploring more of the classics could be a way forward?

If anyone can offer tips and resources on how to support her, I would be so grateful. She has such an interest in this area and I'm a bit out of my depth now she's at Secondary!

Thank you!

Creatureofthenight Sat 07-Jan-17 12:12:49

Does she like fantasy? These can be quite challenging in terms of vocabulary but have less "issues". I'm thinking of authors like Frances Harding, Ursula Le Guin.

Creatureofthenight Sat 07-Jan-17 12:13:24

Sorry that should be Frances Hardinge.

FranHastings Sat 07-Jan-17 12:43:05

@Creatureofthenight Thank you! She loves fantasy, mystery, non fiction. I actually bought her The Lie Tree for Christmas, but I don't think she's started it yet. I'm not familiar with her other books, I think I need to start researching YA books. Thanks for the Ursula Le Guin tip too, I'll look into her as well.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sat 07-Jan-17 12:58:24

Would mystery include crime fiction?

If so, try Dorothy L Sayers.

FranHastings Sat 07-Jan-17 13:01:01

Yes, she loves crime. Thank you AllPowerfulLizardPerson, will add that to the list.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sat 07-Jan-17 13:35:33

Try Wilkie Collins as well (Woman in White)

And don't forget Sherlock!

FranHastings Sat 07-Jan-17 13:57:54

I've just been googling to see which Sherlocks would be suitable. This is so cool, thank you! Very excited and like the look of some of these for myself. I'll see if she'll read some together. She went right off the idea a while ago. I remember being the same at her age. grin

viques Sat 07-Jan-17 14:08:29

Other crime writer recommendations might be Margery Allingham or Ngaio Marsh.

Has she read Jane Eyre? She is probably too young to get the most out of Austin, but I had read JE several times by her age - and had an abortive go at Wuthering Heights. Had also read Rebecca and a few other Daphne du Maurier.

The only proviso I would offer is that reading them gave me a very skewed view of adult relationships!!!

viques Sat 07-Jan-17 14:10:25

Austen! blush

Creatureofthenight Sat 07-Jan-17 17:49:24

Some other fantasy suggestions: Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle, the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, Philip Reeve (e.g. Mortal Engines series), the Inkheart books by Cornelia Funke.

GreenGinger2 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:37:28

My dd is in year 7,similar reading ability etc and loves crime.

Her grammar seems to have a fair few adult books in the library which she has borrowed- All the Light We Cannot See,Girl on a Train etc.

She had Rebecca,some Agatha Christies,Susan Hill,Flavia du Luce series,Crimson Snow( British Library Crime classics), Dark is Rising etc

GreenGinger2 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:43:02

Was lucky enough to have this for Christmas.

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Puffin-Bloom-Collection-Various/0147518741/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483864757&sr=1-1&keywords=Puffin+in+bloom

Already read A Little Princess and Heidi when younger but hoping to get her reading Little Women and Anne of Green Gables.

A lot of the classics have more challenging vocabulary. She read a lot of E Nesbit when younger.

GreenGinger2 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:44:32

I was thinking of Dorothy L Sayers,which would be more suitable for a 12 year old?

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 08-Jan-17 10:57:51

I'd go for the Harriet Vane stories.

They're not gory, and if you're lucky will inspire a desire to sturdy at Oxford.

The are 'Strong Poison', 'Have His Carcass' and 'Gaudy Night' (plus 'Busman's Honeymoon')

Or perhaps 'Murder Must Advertise' as it's generally more fun, but the murders are a shade more graphic. But really very anodyne in comparison to modern crime fiction.

FranHastings Mon 09-Jan-17 12:09:41

Thanks everyone,I've got a great list now.

She's read E. Nesbit, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables etc, but not Jane Austen. I must admit struggling to get into it at a similar age, so I've probably an inherent prejudice a against it. I'll dig out my old copy.grin

You are all fab, thanks so much for your help. Think I'll add some of these to my last too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now