Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with dc at Chew Valley School near Bristol?

(8 Posts)
oklumberjack Fri 06-Jan-17 16:51:17

Bit of a long shot, but was wondering if there's anyone out there.

My dd started in Y7 last September. We're based in South Bristol. I'm really liking the school itself so far. Academically dd is doing very well. Obviously it's a rural school so everyone is very spread out.

My only niggle us that she came to the school with no friendship base. It's been very slow for her to find her feet with new people. She has made a very good friend who unfortunately is moving to Devon in February. She has others but still feeling a bit unsure. Her tutor tells me she's just fine.

I don't feel like I have a huge problem, just wondering if there's anyone who had experience of this school?

oklumberjack Fri 06-Jan-17 16:52:23

It doesn't help that dd is very mature for her age, is 5 ft 5 and towers above everyone else grin

rainbowmoon Fri 06-Jan-17 17:08:59

I went to this school and I'm hoping my DD will be going there in a few years. I moved away from the area and just moved back so we are now in the catchment.

When I went there was a few of us from our village from primary but most of us made new friends and moved in new circles anyway.

The downfall is as you said very rural and I found it difficult to mix with friends outside school as most of my friends were very rural compared to myself.

I must admit I am slightly worried for my DD as she is a very shy girl.

I found when we broke out of own forms after year 9 that new friendship groups emerged as your then mixing with new people.

It's a good school, I'd be very happy for my DD to go there. Hence why we moved as our catchment school would of been BEC or whatever they have now changed the name too.

Moonshine86 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:13:09

Hi,

I taught at this school a few years ago, and I can honestly say first hand what a wonderful school it really is.

X

oklumberjack Fri 06-Jan-17 17:17:57

Wow! Thank you both for replies. I honestly didn't think I'd get any.

Rainbow, I'm glad that you'd be happy for your dd to go. Don't get me wrong, I don't have huge worries. I just wanted to canvas any experiences really. My dd is slightly offbeat. Confident in herself but slow to push herself forward. I'm pretty confident that she will find her 'people'. We chose the school because it's got a creative feel. She's basically happy but it can only get better.

Moonshine thank you too. I've been very impressed with all the staff so far. Her tutor literally answered an email from me within 10 mins then rang me the next day. I'm not used to such responses! The home/school communication seems great.

Thanks again x

rainbowmoon Fri 06-Jan-17 17:39:26

It's a huge step going from primary to secondary and (assuming here) that your in a similar boat that the primary schools round here are so small ours was (my DD is now in the primary school I was) and the size of the year was as big alone as the school. Our primary only has 1 class per year.

May a little talk and to put herself out there may help.
Or is there any lunch clubs she could join?

oklumberjack Fri 06-Jan-17 18:22:35

Yes, lunch time clubs are good. She's joined Netball and drama club has been good. She's starting guitar lessons soon. I don't want to push too far at the moment.

She came from a large Primary in Bristol so she's used to lots of people. However looking back, it took her ages to be totally comfortable there too.

I'm sure she'll be fine. I just want her to enjoy school like I did, however I think I'm asking too much too soon as I'm sure I was older when I found my crowd.

It's just nice to chat to people that know the school. I don't really know anyone! X

rainbowmoon Fri 06-Jan-17 20:29:27

I don't know anyone at the school at the moment however I know lots of children's parents who are applying for next term. There are so many that if they all get in we will be getting another 2 mini busses going from our village along side the double decker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now