Talk

Advanced search

School is going to think I've kept DS1 off on purpose!!!

(8 Posts)
sunnydelight Tue 20-Feb-07 14:36:40

DS1 has mock SATS this week (KS3) but he's currently at home with severe stomach pains/vomiting/diahorrea etc. I took him to the doctor yesterday as he was so poorly. Trouble is, a couple of weeks ago I was speaking to the SENCO at his school about what support, if any, he would get during his SATS (he's dyslexic) and I made it very clear how much I hated the whole system and thought SATS are a waste of space. Despite my views, I really rate the school and I wouldn't want to alienate them, so I wouldn't keep him at home without a very good reason. Trouble is now they will probably think I'm lying about his being ill to avoid the tests. Part of me thinks, so what - I know he's ill, but I would hate them to think I was lying. Should I even be bothered by this?

percypig Tue 20-Feb-07 14:39:20

Don't assume they'll think you're lying! Most teachers accept what parents say unless there is evidence to the contrary.

I don't really like SATs either, but I think they are useful as a run in to GCSEs - gives them experience of doing 'big exams'. Maybe you could look at it like that?

fizzbuzz Tue 20-Feb-07 20:28:53

I wouldn't be bothered. Most teachers don't think highly of SATS anyway.

My ds had flu during SATS at end of year 6, it hasn't affected him in any way.

Anyway, most teachers are so busy all the time, that they probably won't have given it a thought.........dreading going back after mat leave

wychbold Tue 20-Feb-07 22:38:06

Can you get a Doctor's note?

beckybrastraps Tue 20-Feb-07 22:40:13

TBH, if a child missed his/her mock SATs due to illness, I would give them the paper during a lesson, so they would do it anyway. I really wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Kbear Tue 20-Feb-07 22:41:12

Don't worry about what the school thinks. Hope he's better soon.

sunnydelight Wed 21-Feb-07 12:21:06

Thanks for the responses. I've taken him back to the doctor today and she said he needs to stay off school until at least 24 hours after the diahorrea stops so it's unlikely he'll be back at school this week. In some ways it's better as he doesn't just missed the test days!!!

beckybrastraps Wed 21-Feb-07 14:15:37

If it's a DV bug, chances are he's not the only one with it, so he won't be the only one missing the mocks. Hope he's better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now