Talk

Advanced search

End of year 7 predictions?

(10 Posts)
mrsglowglow Mon 19-Dec-16 20:05:01

Have received progress report and just wanted to ask if these numbers are OK?

End of year prediction
Eng 4.5
Maths 4.25
Science 4.25
Re 3.75
Languages 2.75
Geog 4.25
History 3.5

Child did great at ks2 SATs but these seem low to me. Effort is shown as good and excellent so assume she is trying her best although she has struggled with organisation at high school.

Thanks in advance.

eyebrowsonfleek Mon 19-Dec-16 22:03:43

Are they GCSE grades rather than old style National Curriculum ones?
It is normal for subjects that they didn't do in junior school to be low. (History, French, Geography etc) They catch up to Maths and English grades very quickly.
It's common for maths and English grades not to go up much as KS2 test results are not a true test of ability. The practice tests and booster classes that they did in y6 make their results artificially high sometimes.

NiceFalafels Mon 19-Dec-16 22:09:59

Flight path - new gcse grades

mrsglowglow Mon 19-Dec-16 22:50:27

I'm really not sure if they are old or new style grades. There was no explanation note although it could be in our parent handbook so I'll dig itcou when I get time. I would prefer if it said meeting standards etc but maybe this will be in the end of year report.

Thanks for the flight path table, it's interesting seeing the progress line. My child didn't get a ks2 level as they were the first year to get scores. It's a minefield for us parents! I just want to know that she's heading in the right direction. Thanks for the info.

NiceFalafels Tue 20-Dec-16 07:29:55

I think you've probably been given the new gcse levels.

Mine Got 5's and 6's in year 9, so should get A's at Gcse. I'd like to know if there a different flight path for A level students as that's much harder.

DataEducator Tue 20-Dec-16 12:03:14

Care needs to be taken when talking about this across schools as different schools are doing different things.

Some schools will have some sort of flightpath, as this is sort of similar to national curriculum levels as schools were familiar with levels.

Some schools will just be dealing in words, i.e. "good progress, satisfactory progress"

Some schools will just be providing effort grades.

Some schools will be providing a score towards the end of Y7, or KS3 curriculum and not neccesarily linking this to GCSE outcomes at this stage.

Schools don't know what the new GCSE grades really look like yet, and they certainly don't know what that should translate to in year 7 or year 8. So all the methods mentioned above are problematic.

So what each school will probably be doing is providing some sort of score/grade, or description of your son or daughters progress. This is very likely not to be translatable, to a student with a score in another school.

What you will probably find is that schools are introducing more testing, probably at the end of year. This might give a better indication.

I would focus on where they are now, and what skills and knowledge they need to progress. I wouldn't worry about where they are going in Y7, it's a long way away.

In the OP example, as effort and behaviour is good, then they student should be making good progress, as long as the school have defined the curriculum appropriately. Don't worry about the numbers.

mrsglowglow Tue 20-Dec-16 18:26:32

Thank you - really good and helpful advice. Common sense tells me to let her be and settle in but had a wobble when I saw the report. It doesn't help in that my daughter is not very forthcoming with any information and doesn't seem to notice what is going on around her! She could get away with it in primary as most things were also communicated to parents but not so in new school. Thanks again, the report has been filed away!

noblegiraffe Tue 20-Dec-16 18:33:37

Bloody hell, what a load of crap. Seriously, there is no way in hell that a maths teacher can tell whether your kid is currently or by the end of the year working at a grade 4.25. They won't even be able to tell you if she's working at a grade 3 or a 4.

Just for info, a grade 4 is roughly C grade which is roughly level 7 in maths, so if your DD did well at KS2, then her end of year target seems set at a reasonable level, even if it can't actually be measured.

NiceFalafels Tue 20-Dec-16 20:28:27

4 would be a low C I think, 3 a D

mrsglowglow Tue 20-Dec-16 22:10:28

Thanks, yes it does seem quite meaningless giving out these numbers to parents at this stage. Maths is one subject where she has had very little homework at all. Just 2 pieces online since September and looking in her book nothing marked. I think they had some tests early on but don't know how she did. I just hope if there were any issues the school would be in contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now