Advanced search

Should EWO be involved with long term absence due to depression?

(5 Posts)
Ollyoscar18 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:28:47

My DD is in Year 8 and has suffered from severe anxiety and depressive symptoms for most of this year. She has a medical condition which can become life threatening when it flares up and, due to several episodes this year, she has really struggled to cope. Because one episode happened at school, she fears being there without me as she is so scared of becoming seriously ill (or worse) without either me or her dad. The GP has referred her to CAMHS and, whilst awaiting an initial assessment, we are paying for her to see a counsellor. Sadly, my DD suffers insomnia, dark thoughts, no motivation, overeating, gaining weight, crying constantly, social isolating herself, cannot make even simple decisions and is so so sad all the time.
But her school are being quite awkward about her absence, even the Head telling us that if "if it was another family, you'd be in court by now" because of the high absence due to these mental health problems she is currently suffering from. They keep asking for medical evidence, we've given all that we have from her consultants in regard to physical health but have explained that we cannot provide anything from CAMHS as haven't seen them yet, GP wont sign sick note in accordance with BMA guidelines and so we are now being told that we must meet with school in Jan with EWO.
I am really worried now, on top of having to care for terminally ill father, 2 disabled children and my DD with her understandable anxieties, that we will now find ourselves in trouble with the LA. We have kept school fully informed of why my DD cannot attend school, plans to support her (CAMHS/counsellor) and how she is emotionally affected so badly by a potentially fatal medical condition. Please help as I am desperate!

Ditsyprint40 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:32:45

Yes they can be, but I wouldn't take it as a negative. Continue to provide the medical evidence so they are able to authorise the absences. The EWO is more likely to be supportive than punitive, unless they doubt the validity of your daughters case.

cestlavielife Tue 20-Dec-16 20:36:25

It should be the Lea Officer dealing with children with health needs.
This may or may not be the same person.
There is statutory guidance
Just get copy of gp referral letter to camhs and hand that over when needed

cestlavielife Tue 20-Dec-16 20:37:47

Do ypu have ss involved from Disabled childenss team ? Make sure they aware they can support you as carer

corythatwas Wed 21-Dec-16 22:48:49

Get the EWO on your side. We had a similar situation when dd was in junior school and got a lot of support from the SWs the school called in to put pressure on us.

Keep all paperwork. Keep notes on exactly what you have sent the school and when in case they later deny it.

And don't lose heart! The work you are doing now to support your dd is absolutely crucial; it will make all the difference. Being in this state now doesn't mean her future is ruined. My dd was in the same situation at that age and missed a lot of secondary school, but is now holding down a job and has just got into the HE course she always wanted.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: