Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how long it takes for Ofsted to publish reports please?

(15 Posts)
AladdinsPurpleSparklyCarpet Thu 15-Dec-16 10:59:56

Dc1 in is a new school which has only been open since September 2015. The Dfe and Ofsted have both been in recently to inspect.

Does anyone know how long before it is published online?

Since Ofsted came the head has announced she is leaving and a teacher has also left (in a couple of weeks space) so I am a tiny bit concerned.

AradiasDaughter Thu 15-Dec-16 11:02:40

Sure it's usually about 7-10 days.
That doesn't sound good though. That's quite drastic to be honest. I doubt the head teacher is leaving of his/ her own accord. If the school has deemed him/ her unsatisfactory they usually get a few weeks to pull their socks up. The fact that he/ she is "leaving" doesn't bode well.

FATEdestiny Thu 15-Dec-16 11:20:57

The Head leaving is a very bad sign. The Head will have known the outcome of the OFSTED report before the inspectors left.

How long it takes to be published, in my experience, depends on how contentious the findings will be. OFSTED will dot every i and cross every t if they are giving a failing judgement. This gives schools a bit of breathing space to prepare if the findings will will be negative (like significant staff changes and to prepare how to communicate with parents).

AladdinsPurpleSparklyCarpet Thu 15-Dec-16 12:34:00

Thank you.

The head is VERY experienced and has been used in previous roles to turn around failing schools across the area so I do not doubt her ability but it worries me greatly that such a new school will be faced with a new head so soon. Especially based on a fairly unique ethos it has.

I have been very pleased with the progress dc1 has made, pastoral support and the running of the school from a parents perspective so far so this is all a bit worrying.

FATEdestiny Thu 15-Dec-16 16:18:19

Even the most experienced heads will be unsuited to certain environments - so maybe the "unique" ethos wasn't right for her skill set?

Come back to the thread and key let us know the outcome when you find out.

#nosey grin

Heirhelp Thu 15-Dec-16 16:21:01

It might be the unique ethos that Ofsted don't like. Ofsted are very ticky box.

MrGrumpy01 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:07:12

Approx 19days for the draft to be received by the school (so Approx 3 woks after day 1) it then has to be checked and verified for errors (such as spellings and roll number) then sometime after that handed out. So around 4 weeks after.

MrGrumpy01 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:09:07

The draft is still confidential so at that point no one outside staff and governors will know.

DixieNormas Thu 15-Dec-16 20:14:41

I thank as parents we found out after 6 or 7 weeks

metalurgy Thu 15-Dec-16 22:20:57

OP did the school say what kind of Ofsted visit it was? I think it's strange for Ofsted to be visiting at all if the school only opened in September 2015. I'm a governor at a school that opened at the same time. We've recently had a scheduled DfE visit, but we're not expecting Ofsted until we've been open for 2 full years, i.e. Autumn 2017.

The DfE visits are for monitoring purposes and the reports aren't made public.

Staff usually know how it's gone on the day the inspectors leave (but are sworn to secrecy). First draft usually three weeks, then it depends whether any issues need to be cleared up before being published.

The head leaving does not sound good. Head teachers generally have to give around six months notice.

AladdinsPurpleSparklyCarpet Fri 16-Dec-16 13:35:47

Oh really metal that sounds even worse then!

As far as I know the dfe came on the Wednesday and Ofsted on the Friday. We weren't told as parents it was happening its just dc1 came home and told me Mr Teacher had told them they had to be extra good as dfe were in. Then said the same about Ofsted.

They are in consultation to change their age range taken so could it be that.

I am gutted really. I really liked the head and chose to move dc1 there because the learning ethos better suited them and now I'm worried that changing the age range taken and a new head will change the whole ethos of what the school offered.

metalurgy Fri 16-Dec-16 14:03:28

Alladins it doesn't sound like an Ofsted inspection - you would have got a letter/email about that and been invited to give your views to inspectors.

It could just be the age-range thing as you say. Is the school full? All schools are financially stretched at the moment and schools that aren't full are finding it particularly difficult. Perhaps the Head got wind that the application was going to be turned down and is concerned about future financial viability.

bojorojo Fri 16-Dec-16 14:33:32

Ofsted can inspect a new school at any time if they have reason to believe there is cause for concern. If the Head is leaving, this could be the case. I believe this type of visit would not be subject to the normal parental consultation. Their standard visit for a new school is three years after opening.

AladdinsPurpleSparklyCarpet Fri 16-Dec-16 18:31:38

It is oversubscribed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now