Talk

Advanced search

Eton admissions

(132 Posts)
FinneyBoy Sun 11-Dec-16 03:52:53

Does anyone know when Eton will be advising on acceptance results for entry 2019?
I believe it's sometime in December.

Out2pasture Sun 11-Dec-16 04:51:32

this from the eton thread under education
"And I actually meant Friday 16th December. I emailed the Admissions office last week and she said that letters would be posted by Friday 16th."

Out2pasture Sun 11-Dec-16 04:52:07

FinneyBoy Sun 11-Dec-16 05:17:07

I can't find that tgread. Do you have the link to it?

Out2pasture Sun 11-Dec-16 06:01:56

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/2775066-Eton-an-interesting-article
last page

ColdBrew Sun 11-Dec-16 09:17:35

Can I ask you something? It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to make a point.

Why do you want to send your child to Eton? Or to a boarding school in general?

Cosynightsin Sun 11-Dec-16 11:19:47

Does anyone know if the Headmasters have heard yet? I think they find out a few days before.

FinneyBoy Sun 11-Dec-16 14:07:01

Coldbrew - there are great state schools and a uk public boarding school isn't the only place to get a great education. My son is very keen on Eton (only school we've applied to) and it will be a great experience for him on the small chance he gets in.

FinneyBoy Sun 11-Dec-16 14:35:21

Cosynightsin - put your question into the thread Out2pasture has pasted, a lot more people on that chat.

leftandaright Sun 11-Dec-16 18:53:11

Regarding boarding school, in my DS case, it's more of a case of me having to find good reasons for him not to go to boarding school! He currently boards weekly and prefers to stay at school rather than come home. Why? Because home is chore compared to school life. Home means a slower pace of life. School is nonstop from 8.15am until 7.30pm every day. School means training for national champs (and winning), school means living with talented, driven boys who want to excel in everything they do. School (24/7) means a fulfilled life which a day school cannot offer in our opinion. This is based on the school's we have in our area (very rural).
Boarding school is a financial and personal sacrifice I make as a parent because my DS thrives there. No Brainer.

ColdBrew Sun 11-Dec-16 22:01:23

Fair enough. I always think boarding school seems a bit like outsourcing the parenting of your child, but it clearly works wonders for some people.

leftandaright Sun 11-Dec-16 22:12:33

Outsourcing parenting??!
As in you think there are thousands upon thousands of parents out there who get pregnant, bringing up their babies until they reach 9/11/13 and think whoopee, now I can outsource their parenting as I didn't much want to do it in the first place?
Parents of children who board are just the same as parents of day pupils only for them, they have decided upon a different course of action to you. Like al decisions we make, the decision for a child to board is done out of love.

MuseumOfCurry Mon 12-Dec-16 15:00:24

We're waiting, fingers crossed.

The 19th seems ridiculously late.

MuseumOfCurry Mon 12-Dec-16 15:03:39

Has anyone asked their head? I don't really want to ask.

FinneyBoy Mon 12-Dec-16 15:23:03

Does the Head get notified whatever the outcome: accepted, waiting list, reject?

leftandaright Mon 12-Dec-16 16:50:46

No I've not asked our head. If it isn't good news (probably!) I'd rather quietly find out at home than in his office!
Likewise if it's good news then I'd rather be at home.
From my respobse from the admissions office (Eton) it did sound like they were posting out end of this coming week not the start.
I rather think they are done to coincide with finishing term and not being at school.
When someone receives their letters, can they post on here so the rest of us know when to expect. We are ridiculously rural that we will probably be a day or so after those in the South.

leftandaright Mon 12-Dec-16 16:51:24

And I've no idea when the Heads find out or what they are told either.

Bobochic Mon 12-Dec-16 16:53:11

Of course boarding schools exist in order for parents to outsource! That is their very raison d'etre!

MuseumOfCurry Mon 12-Dec-16 17:31:01

Of course boarding schools exist in order for parents to outsource!

Naturally. I'm ready to be done with this parenting lark, frankly.

FinneyBoy Mon 12-Dec-16 17:35:29

I'll wait it out, probably find out the end of the week. Way I see it there's a one in five chance of acceptance so not getting too hopeful.
I know every parent believes their son is worthy and deserving of a place but places are limited.

Cosynightsin Mon 12-Dec-16 17:37:37

Good luck everyone. Seems no one has heard yet.
Let's hope we all get a large A4 letter in the post this week smile
I'll let you know if I hear anything.

ChocoChou Mon 12-Dec-16 18:03:42

Outsourcing parenting hmmhmm

MrsBernardBlack Mon 12-Dec-16 18:34:33

I think the date is more to do with when the Eton half ends. School closes on Wednesday, the admissions committee gets together after that and thrash through all the boys they have interviewed, and decide who will get offers.

I'm sure the current heads are informed, but they wouldn't expect to pass that information on, i don't think. However, when DS was promoted from the wait list it was our own Head who rang to tell us.

FinneyBoy Mon 12-Dec-16 18:45:56

Surprising if the list isn't close to final already. If admissions team gets together on Wednesday and notifications are sent Friday all seems very tight.

Cosynightsin Mon 12-Dec-16 18:54:29

I think it's the end of November they get together to decide which boys to make offers too.
Parents are informed a week or so later. I suspect we'll hear sometime this week depending on the efficiency of post!
I hadn't given it much thought until the last day or so. Now I'm starting to feel nervous. DS has no idea the results are due.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now