Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 interim report grades

(9 Posts)
indy69 Mon 28-Nov-16 13:51:50

Hello everyone

Thank you in advance for your input. My child has just started year 7 in September and we have their interim reports. She has been given a target of 5a at the end of KS3 in French and Spanish. Can anybody help with what this would translate to in the new GCSE grades and s this good or bad or just ok?

TeenAndTween Mon 28-Nov-16 14:56:30

Assuming this is old NC levels, a 5a at end y9 would equate I think to hoping for a C in old money for GCSE, though a 6c would have been a safer bet. So perhaps a 4 under the new GCSEs?

But it is a target (so possibly based on nothing more than her incoming SATs) not a prediction. Anything could happen in the next 2.5 years.

Have they given you current 'working at' levels too? MFL working at levels first term in y7 may be as low as 2s due to little MFL at primary level.

Good/bad is somewhat subjective, depending whether your expectations are A/A* (7-9 new money), or Cs (4/5 new money).

indy69 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:44:21

yes they just started Spanish though they did a little French earlier so their starting levels are 2s and 3s.

tiggytape Mon 28-Nov-16 18:27:07

If the 5a target is based on GCSE grades (as opposed to old NC levels), then that means she is aiming for the equivalent of a good grade C at the end of Year 9 so perhaps would be aiming for an A grade or above (now called a grade 7 or above) at the end of Year 11?

It really depends on whether the 5a target is based on the new GCSE grades or something else that the school uses.

In terms of the new GCSEs a grade 5 is a "good pass" and equivalent to an old low B or high C

A grade 7 is equivalent to an A (so an 8 is an A* and a 9 is an A**)

A grade 4 is equivalent to a low C grade but won't be considered a good pass.

ChildsPlay Mon 28-Nov-16 21:17:03

So According to my knowledge the KS3 grades dont really equate to anything important and that its just a set of targets to achieve. I believe a lot of schools use this system and if you are looking to acheive an A/A* in a subject at GCSE, if u get a 6c by the end of year 9 u should be okay.

TeenAndTween Mon 28-Nov-16 21:43:49

ChildsPlay A 6c by end of y9 would get you to a C at GCSE. To get to your A/A* you should be looking more at 7c+.

clary Tue 29-Nov-16 23:47:03

It depends if these are old NC levels (supposed to be done away with) or some new level related to GCSE.

My school used to use NC levels and a 5c at end of yr 9 is not a very challenging target in MFL (my subject). OTOH we have now moved to GCSE-linked levels and a 5c in yr 9 (or a 5L as we call it) is very very high - equivalent to a grade 5 GCSE (a good C). I teach two set 2s in yr 9 and only one person has a target of level 5.

S basically OP you need to ask the school what the levels are based on grin

clary Tue 29-Nov-16 23:48:38

Sorry target is 5a not 5c. Still not that challenging. I have had high achieving yr 7s who have hit L5 in French and German. That's why I suspect the OP's DD's target may be GCSE-linked.

ChildsPlay Wed 30-Nov-16 21:05:09

TeenAndTween Sorry i meant by the end of year 8 (as i was thinking of those schools that start GCSE in year 9 for some reason). So yes you are correct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now