Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Attendance Poster On Classroom Wall

(87 Posts)
Verbena37 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:01:24

Totally fuming!
DS (yr7) has just told me his form tutor has put a ladder of attendance poster up on the classroom wall with stickers showing every child's attendedence!!

Surely this is breaking the data protection act?
Why would the school think this was in any way acceptable?

PberryT Wed 16-Nov-16 22:05:46

It's not exactly a state secret when your child is off school. The kids know who isn't in regularly and comment "so and so is never in".

I read out attendance figures to my form. Never had a complaint.

hoxty Wed 16-Nov-16 22:06:40

Totally normal.

Verbena37 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:07:21

Err I'm pretty sure it's confidential information about my child?

BratFarrarsPony Wed 16-Nov-16 22:07:35

PBerry has it never occurred to you that people who are ill cannot help it? confused
Why on earth would you do that? to 'shame' the people who suffer from ill health or who have less than perfect parents?

DefinitelyNotRuth Wed 16-Nov-16 22:08:24

Normal in my school too. Classes get rewards for full attendance each week so everyone is aware of their percentage.

Krapom Wed 16-Nov-16 22:10:14

It's not confidential because it can't be. If your child isn't there, they're not there. Everyone can see. Information is entirely, unavoidably already in the public domain.

ITCouldBeWorse Wed 16-Nov-16 22:10:17

How can it really be confidential. Surely the other kids notice if he isn't there?

Really important to normalise good attendance in year 7

Verbena37 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:10:35

Exactly Brat.

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Nov-16 22:10:43

It's not likely to encourage good attendance and could be quite divisive for any children with ongoing medical issues who have lots of time off because of those issues.
Confidential information? It's not being sent round to all the parents. It's being seen by the class and the teacher (who already know who's off loads and who's always at school!)
confused

PberryT Wed 16-Nov-16 22:11:11

Obviously I'm not an insensitive twat. Genuine illnesses are allowed for, even shit parenting isn't blamed on the kids.

BUT a lot of the time at secondary the kids aren't ill, they just fancy a day off and reappear the next day with nothing wrong.

It can't break confidentially unless your kids is somehow invisible and the other pupils can't tell if they are in school or not.

PberryT Wed 16-Nov-16 22:11:58

And I read out attendance figures as it is school policy to do it.

exLtEveDallas Wed 16-Nov-16 22:12:23

How is it confidential that your child isn't there - the kids can see it with their own eyes confused

Verbena37 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:12:28

How is it already public information? Exactly?
Unless you're thinking that the kids sit there with their own piece of paper under the desk recording who is off on which day?

NicknameUsed Wed 16-Nov-16 22:13:22

"Err I'm pretty sure it's confidential information about my child?"

How can it be? If your son is off school people will notice.

I hate this focus on attendance. DD has had periods of illness and hospital stays that she has had no control over. She isn't allowed to "pull a sickie" in our house.

Schools should be focusing on persistent truancy, not penalising children who don't enjoy good health.

BratFarrarsPony Wed 16-Nov-16 22:13:50

" BUT a lot of the time at secondary the kids aren't ill, "

and a lot of the time they are...

they have (for example) doctors appointments miles away for ongoing conditions or they suffer from glandular fever (to name just two that i know of). or they miss the school bus and their parents cannot afford a car.

Why should these people be shamed in front of the class?

MakeMyWineADouble Wed 16-Nov-16 22:15:03

I don't think it's confidential information if your child isn't in school the class will know. Giving out the reasons why people were off would be the breach. Seems similiar to the rewards for 100% attendance and that! personally not a big fan of either method! If some one is ill they are ill and shouldn't be punished but it seems to be they way things are done now.

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Nov-16 22:15:22

They may not record it OP but they most certainly notice absence (amount of and any pattern.)
Wouldn't want whole name and picture displayed if room ever let out to general public eg in the evening?
Does your child have a lot of absence?

pyjamasonbananas Wed 16-Nov-16 22:15:50

mine would always be able to tell me who was in and who wasn't on any particular day (tho, obviously, this isn't a major topic of conversation!)

I hate these sort of reward charts for good health; HOWEVER I don't think there's any data protection issue here.

ITCouldBeWorse Wed 16-Nov-16 22:15:54

Anyone who has an ongoing problem is often known to the other students anyway - they watch out for the diabetic behaving out of sorts, for example. They also know the kids who have a week off for a bug and return with a tan. They also know who is at the orthodontist.

So, how many days has your son missed?

Verbena37 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:16:09

That's how I feel......it's shaming and dividing children. How is it inclusive in any way whatsoever?
DS actually has a friend that gets bullied because he is off due to medical issues. This ladder just exacerbates the issue.

ReallyTired Wed 16-Nov-16 22:17:02

A poster in a class room displays attendence info to every child who had a lesson in that classroom. I think it's shit. Fred in year 10 does not need to know that his neighbour Percy in year 7 is a school refuser.

My son perpetually skips registration. I have no idea if they read out his attendence/ punctuality figures.

BratFarrarsPony Wed 16-Nov-16 22:17:22

so what if they are 'often known' to the other children? confused
How does that mean that they should be further shamed?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 16-Nov-16 22:17:33

When I worked in a school a couple of years ago one of my weekly tasks was to update the attendance notice boards. Every single student was named and colour coded (Green for +95% etc) . I hated it. So unfair for those who have chronic conditions.

bloodyteenagers Wed 16-Nov-16 22:17:52

I'm not there. There is no clone in my place. So everyone in that room knows I am not there. Hardly confidential. The only way this would be confidential is if on the poster or whatever - 16/11 teens absent because hangover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now