Text books for yr7

(13 Posts)
Olencia4 Mon 07-Nov-16 23:08:13

Hi all,
Please help me to get text books for my child she is in yr7. May I know which text books are followed by grammar schools for maths science.
I know about cgp.

Seeline Tue 08-Nov-16 08:12:49

I think you will find that each school uses different ones (if they actually use text books at all). Speak to the school concerned.

Spam88 Tue 08-Nov-16 08:21:46

Yep, as above, all schools use different text books. If she needs any, I'd be very surprised if they weren't provided by the school (possibly for a cost).

Olencia4 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:46:29

Thanks to you both for replying. She asked her maths teacher and she said they dont give text books. This is a real helpless situation. If only I knew the which text books I wouldnt have caref how much they cost..I would have bought them straight away. Do you know the names of any text book suitable for yr7. Please let me know.
Thanks

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 08-Nov-16 17:28:34

Why not email her teachers yourself, if you are really keen to get something. They may still say that they don't use text books (because they may well not!), but they might be able to advise on suitable revision books etc if you are really keen to have them.

The only text book we've ever had is for modern foreign languages. But there is curriculum information online and the school posts useful resources on their virtual learning environment. They have also recommended various published revision guides as the children have progressed up the school.

noblegiraffe Tue 08-Nov-16 17:30:13

Does the school have a mymaths login? That might be more useful than a textbook (KS3 maths textbooks aren't great). What do you want to use the textbook for?

Minispringroll Tue 08-Nov-16 17:36:30

Lots of schools in the UK don't use text books. (I pick and mix from about 7 different ones for Maths alone...and even then they are just one resource to use.)
I agree with AChicken, email her teacher and ask what you can do at home to support your DD. That doesn't need to be a text book. Asking her teacher should also give you a much more specific answer as to what she needs to be working on...and possibly as to whether there is actually any need for her to do any additional work.

Seeline Tue 08-Nov-16 17:43:15

We were recommended the CGP KS3 book for revision purposes. It seems to cover most things and is easy to understand.

golfbuggy Tue 08-Nov-16 18:52:11

Same as noble - DS doesn't have a maths text book but he does have a login to mymaths which has some great information, worked examples as well as examples for them to try themselves.

Leeds2 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:39:48

If your daughter is using a text book in class, could she write down its name and the author? I am not really sure though why you think you/she would need it.

PatriciaHolm Tue 08-Nov-16 21:35:39

Why do you want them?

If the school requires them they will supply them, or give you the details. Many schools don't have textbooks as such.

Is your daughter struggling? If so the first port of call should be the teacher or head of year.

Balletgirlmum Tue 08-Nov-16 21:43:37

Ds is in a selective school & they have textbooks for some subjects but not for maths. They have a mymaths & ten ticks log in. The topics they will be covering are posted online. We use CGP for extra practice in the run up to progress tests.

For science they log into Kaboodle & the textbooks are online. Exactly the same as the printed ones but interactive. This year in year8 they have just changed to Activate ftom another scheme.

Olencia4 Wed 09-Nov-16 16:17:44

Thanks all, my daughter has the mymaths login..
Spoke to her teacher today, they said she can borrow from the library ..happy with that replysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now