Talk

Advanced search

What happens if a school has to change its admissions policy after forms have gone in?

(2 Posts)
bananasplat Wed 02-Nov-16 21:13:56

This is really interesting. This school (and three other Catholic schools in Surrey, but they're primaries) has had its admissions policy ripped to shreds by the adjudicator and has been given two months to change it. But of course all the Secondary admissions applications have now gone in. So what will happen?

Presumably they can't even just revert to their old policy because that would need a different set of supplementary info that parents haven't submitted. I'm guessing they'll just have to scrap all the references to the Certificates of Catholic Practice and just use the baptism certificates on their own??

I'm also curious about them being pulled up on the "interview" issue because so many schools (not just RC) rely on signatures of vicars, priests, rabbis etc, and in many cases that must lead to some sort of interview. My kids are at a CE primary school, and I had to go to an appointment at the vicarage for a "chat" to get the vicar's signature, which could definitely have been described as an interview, and he is also a governor of the school.

The whole vicar-as-school-gatekeeper scenario is such a can of worms.

admission Wed 02-Nov-16 22:48:12

Good question about what will happen. In theory the school has 2 months to change the admission criteria and that all admissions for 2017-18 will be based on the new admission criteria whatever they may be. The trouble is that is an open invitation for lots of school admission appeals based on parents quite rightly not being able to know before the deadline date and secondly not even knowing about the change.
It is a mess and despite the fact the school has to accept the decision of the school adjudicator, I suspect that the catholic church will not easily accept this decision and will be looking to get some kind of judicial review started.
The use of meetings with clergy and with school governors has been an issue for a long time as it has always been claimed that the meetings are not interviews. I think most people would suggest that they are interviews whatever the school or religious body think. Will this ruling make any different to this - I suspect not because there have been other findings about interviews in the past and many schools still do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now