Talk

Advanced search

Another mobile phone question

(6 Posts)
Autumnsky Tue 25-Oct-16 11:44:08

For parents whose DC have a smart phone, how do you controll their web usage? What I mean, if DC spend all the spare time on playing games or social media, what would you do? I do see some children play their phone on the way home.

redskytonight Tue 25-Oct-16 12:01:36

DS has a PAYG phone. We put £5 a month on it. When it's gone it's gone. He learnt very quickly that data burns through the money very quickly and so basically only uses data when there is free WiFi - at home we have parental controls. He can of course access "unsuitable" stuff when he's not using home WiFi but the limited credit means that at least it is limited! And we do periodically look at his phone to see what he's been accessing.

maz99 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:47:08

I use an app called OurPact to schedule times to block apps including web browsing on my DDs iPhone, Android school phone, and iPad.

samlovesdilys Tue 25-Oct-16 20:42:35

We got a windows phone specifically so we could apply the same parental controls there are on DS's laptop...I routinely check his phone and any issues are discussed!!

Autumnsky Thu 27-Oct-16 10:30:18

Thanks for the reply.

Grikes Fri 28-Oct-16 11:10:36

We don't control our DD....she has an unlimited data plan. We taught her to be responsible with the phone instead.
1) No phone usage at the dinner table.
2) No usage when doing homework or revision
3) No usage at bedtime
All other times it's allowed....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now