Year 11 students

(5 Posts)
user1464511171 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:50:58

Last year it was clear from the results that we needed to challenge our high ability year 11 students more to help them get the best grades (A*-B).

We do a lot of intervention for other students in year 11, is there anything specific that anyone can think of that we can do for our high ability students to increase progress and ambition?

mumsneedwine Sun 23-Oct-16 19:53:18

Targeted clinics. Key words and meeting the mark scheme technique. Exemplar work from previous A* students.

user1464511171 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:56:09

Thanks, what do you mean by targeted clinics?

JoJoSM2 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:00:36

Probably start earlier on as Y11 is just the finishing line. On the ambition front, I don't think an awful lot can be done but it can help to go on trips to universities, attend talks by successful people, also mentoring and aspirational work experience.

Madmog Mon 24-Oct-16 11:23:16

It's not necessarily a challenge but I'd say make sure they don't get swallowed up in the system. I appreciate teachers only have so much time, but it's making sure things aren't overlooked when a brighter pupil is struggling to understand - they need help like the ones that struggle.

Also, keep an eye on their general well being, eg my DD is very self motivated which I'm sure will help her achieve those As and A*s, but she does put herself under a lot of pressure trying to tick all the boxes on controlled assessments and homework. This involves choosing to give up lunchtimes so she can use the school's facilities, staying on late and spending more time that I'd like on homework.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now