Talk

Advanced search

Target setting for KS3

(2 Posts)
Lazybeans50 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:49:23

Do schools have any flexibility to change end of KS3 targets? My dc has already met or close to meeting some of his by end of yr 7. They are quite low as due to SEN he didn't score particularly highly for overall English and this is what school have said they've based the targets on for all humanities and MFLs. School say that they have no flexibility as how they set targets is determined by DfE. But it turns out DC's quite good at humanities and MFLs! I guess our concern that based on his current targets DC could not make any progress for the next 2 years and no red flags would ever be raised due to low target. Should we be worried about this?

lostowl Sat 15-Oct-16 17:54:33

I'm an MFL teacher and it usually goes against us when the end of year target is based on English. Back in the old system, students would have to aim for a level 5 or 6 in MFL in year 7 because of their English test. But that equates to being able to use 3 tenses! It was usually difficult because they were starting the language from scratch.

I wouldn't stress. Your DC is exceeding his targets in some subjects which can only be a good thing. They'll have to provide him with appropriate work for his ability. The targets are never really changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now