How to find a good tutor?

(10 Posts)
strongswans Wed 12-Oct-16 18:50:19

I need to find a tutor for my ds 11 in yr 7. Ds is the very youngest in the year, missed the cut off by a few days and has always struggled to catch up. Teachers have always said he'd be better off in the year below. Also he missed all of year 6 apart from 4 ish weeks due to illness and the la only gave him 3 tutoring sessions! I tried with him but obviously he has missed a lot out.

I really want to give him the extra help now, school are doing a session a week for literacy and maths as well. I don't want him to loose confidence like he has done before. Can anyone recommend a good place to find tutors? What to look for etc..? This is all new to me. I am waiting to speak to school to see what they say.

Thank you!

OdinsLoveChild Thu 13-Oct-16 14:34:20

I haven't used a tutor myself but I know of other parents who used Kumon although I have heard both good and bad about them.

As an alternative try telephoning your local independent or high school and ask them if any staff offer tutoring. Some part time staff may offer tutoring outside of school hours.

strongswans Thu 13-Oct-16 18:46:16

Thank you Ill look into that!

mangocoveredlamb Thu 13-Oct-16 18:53:38

Word of mouth is often your best bet.
I also advertised on First Tutors website, but there are plenty of similar about.
If you do use a website tutors should be happy to provide references!

FanSpamTastic Thu 13-Oct-16 19:26:36

For Maths you could also try an online system like Mathletics. You could start him off on the Year 6 level and identify and fill in any gaps in knowledge before moving on to topics he is now doing in class. But I would speak to his form tutor and see what additional support the school can offer.

strongswans Thu 13-Oct-16 19:33:41

Thank you both! I had forgotten about mathletics FanSpam Ill give that a go as proabably the area he needs the most support in. School have been pretty good so far but his head of year is ill at the moment so I'm waiting for her to call me back.

errorofjudgement Fri 14-Oct-16 07:53:47

Also Check if the school pays for any online maths sites such as MyMaths.

mangocoveredlamb Fri 14-Oct-16 09:26:54

Also have a look at sum dog, they've recently expanded to secondary but will let you set the year group. It's all game based so good fun!

LineyReborn Fri 14-Oct-16 09:29:43

I've used Kip McGrath tuition, and they were good. I think you can look online to find your nearest centre.

MuseumOfCurry Fri 14-Oct-16 09:31:54

I've always had good luck with the Gumtree, but I'm in London - this might not work very well if you're in a remote area. That said, a lot of tutors work via Skype these days and that works well with my kids.

Check out Khan Academy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now