Talk

Advanced search

I don't know what to do about DS & biology

(2 Posts)
Balletgirlmum Tue 11-Oct-16 21:54:49

I've posted in Sen but I thought I might get more traffic here.

DS is in year 8. He's got a huge problem with biology. He's always been very very squeamish. Tonight hecwas in floods of tears doing his homework answering 3 simple questions on the digestive system. His breathing was heavy, like a panic attack. Feeling very very sick. Couldn't cope with the picture on the textbook.

It was absolutely genuine.

He's got another 4 years of compulsory biology left & he's incredibly distressed about it.

He has an asd which was why I originally posted in SEN.

Is there anything that can possibly help him to get through this?

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 11-Oct-16 23:44:33

Speak to his Biology teacher and the SENCO as well. It will probably not be the first time they have encountered this problem. Some people are very squeamish as you have said and do not like hearing / reading about the workings of the body as it makes them feel very peculiar. I believe you when you say his distress was genuine - although there may be techniques he could use to reduce his anxiety levels and this is where the SENCO might be able to help.

There may be some reasonably simple adjustments from the teacher to acknowledge and allow for his difficulties - such as an understanding that the homework might not always be completed, and maybe a way to (subtly) let them know in lessons that he was struggling. I had a buddy system for one such student - their friend would keep an eye out and give me the heads up if they were looking distressed. In that case, acknowledging their feelings seemed to help - and once they knew they didn't "have" to sit through a lesson on blood and the heart it seemed to get easier. This may not help your son, as everybody is different.

Talk to school, anyway - I hope they can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now