Talk

Advanced search

Woldingham

(18 Posts)
NappyValleyMum Sat 01-Oct-16 15:10:07

Went to Woldingham'a open day today. I was in awe. I went out if isle curiosity and came out convinced we should seriously consider it. Question: how is the life for a girl commuting from Clapham? How does it stretch able pupils? I have my own ideas based on the open day but really looking to current parents to reinforce what I saw or disabuse me of my perception of the school!

merlottime Sat 01-Oct-16 20:04:31

Hi. There are lots of girls on the train from Clapham, the school minibuses are very well organised, and there tends to be large groups all travelling together. My DD is in Y8, but lives nearer to Purley so gets the school bus from there. My DD is thriving -going well academically but also involved in sports and drama. Last year she probably did too many clubs, so has cut back a bit this year - but it's the sort of school where they worry if your DD isn't making the most of the opportunities they have. Pastoral support is very good. The Y7s all take part in a musical production at the end of the year, and we were blown away by how professional it all was. Everyone is down to earth (something I was a bit worried about before we joined). Exam results are very impressive. Happy to help if you have any specific questions.

AveEldon Sat 01-Oct-16 20:42:24

The journey time isn't bad
Did they say how many day girls they have vs boarders?

merlottime Sat 01-Oct-16 21:47:12

Looking at my DD's crib sheet for the open day, just over 50% are boarders across the school as a whole, but that is heavily skewed by the boarding numbers higher up the school. Quite a lot of day girls opt to board in sixth form, but in my DDs year there are only about 10 or 12 out of 60 boarding. They have introduced flexi boarding, eg one or two nights a week where they have space, which I think is becoming quite popular.

NappyValleyMum Sun 02-Oct-16 07:58:03

I interrogated the housemistress. There are only 10 full boarders in y7 and 20 in y8. Yet the headmistress' talk said 547 pupils overall and someting like half? Two thirds? Board. So the stats are skewed by upper year full boarding and flexi boarding in y7/8.

The small print I am now focusing on: flexi boarding (1-2 nights max) is only an option in y7/8, something that I found in the t&cs but which they did not advertise. So come y9, does dd then do a long commute every day or have to board full time (or weekly-- but how is that defined??) DD does a sport which would prevent her from boarding more thsn 2 nights as she needs to trsin in SW London other mornings. Would not want it to work harmoniously in y7/8 and then surprise!

AveEldon Sun 02-Oct-16 08:45:32

I guess weekly and termly boarding incur the same fee perhaps?
I understood that flexi boarding the girls don't get to have their own duvet etc so I can see why they move to full boarding instead

AnotherNewt Sun 02-Oct-16 08:50:31

Boarding tend to creep in, as it starts with just one night (which feels more like sleeping over after a club) or a few (during rehearsals or parental hospitalisation) and grows because the girls like it and choose it.

It works if you're near CJ - only 20 minutes on the train. Those in that area have tumbled to how easy it is to reach, and applications from around there have increased enormously in the last few years. It's no more onerous than boys from there going to Whitgift, really.

I know a couple of girls there, and they and their families seem perfectly happy with their choice.

Tagetes Sun 02-Oct-16 08:51:32

She will have to rely on Southern trains. Nuff said

merlottime Sun 02-Oct-16 09:07:42

I think the Y9 intake gets a high proportion of boarders, so that may be why flexi doesn't extend further up the school - they won't have space I guess. Flexi has only just been introduced, so it hasn't driven the increase in popularity from Clapham over the last few years, so I suppose the girls that have been doing it every day before then have found the journey manageable. I admire anyone who can fit in sports before school though, that is very impressive! It is a struggle for us getting out of the house to catch the train on time.

Lizzzar Mon 21-Nov-16 22:08:03

I used to have a friend at the school, but I don't know it very well at the moment. I certainly used to have the impression that while there were plenty of weekly boarders from South London who went home most weekends, actually being a day girl from London, as opposed to Surrey, would be unusual and might be exhausting. But perhaps it has changed and there is better transport.

merlottime Mon 21-Nov-16 22:26:17

There is probably a dozen or more girls who get the train from Clapham every day in my DDs year. Their commute is probably shorter than my DDs as it is so direct, even though on paper we are much closer.

Lizzzar Mon 21-Nov-16 23:09:35

Thanks for the up to date information. It sounds as if commuting through Clapham Junction would be possible for a relatively energetic girl who doesn't mind the odd rail delay etc. too much.

merlottime Tue 22-Nov-16 07:42:47

Yes, that is the risk for girls coming by train. The school have flexi boarding though so some of the London girls stop at school for a night when there has been train strikes, but the line to Woldingham hasn't been too badly affected.

NappyValleyMum Fri 16-Dec-16 06:43:30

Is Woldingham affected by the Souther strike this week?

OpalTree Fri 16-Dec-16 08:35:15

Yes the line to Woldingham is run by Southern.

NappyValleyMum Fri 16-Dec-16 09:01:14

This singular event may depress applications from Clapham families. I could not be dealing with the stress of getting a dd to school in Woldingham and drive back and get myself to work.

EleanorRigby123 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:48:44

Can they not flexi board on strike days?

merlottime Fri 16-Dec-16 14:32:43

Yes they can, and the school organised a coach from Clapham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now