Talk

Advanced search

Senior schools (Surrey/ Berks) - advice please

(17 Posts)
vcharles Thu 29-Sep-16 17:34:55

Good day)) have to prioritise my senior schools list - DS in Y8, new school starts at Y9 - don't mind if co-ed or boys, day or boarding (the latter turns out to be too pricey). Academically inclined boy, not sporty at all. Relocated from abroad a year ago (to Camberley), so happily missed on all the options where you'd have to register at Y5/6, and also where fees are around 30K (just can not afford it, don't want to live on bread and water))).
So please could you share your opinions about these schools (all confirmed they have places potentially).
- Lord Wandsworth
- Freemen City of London
- Leighton Park
- Reading Blue Coat

Thank you very much .... at the moment it's like a jungle))

mummytime Thu 29-Sep-16 19:04:36

Freeman's City of London seems a long way from Camberley? Are they going to board?

I've personally always liked Leighton Park- how do you feel about Quaker schools?

vcharles Thu 29-Sep-16 19:12:43

Freemens can do flexi-boarding, so I am hoping this would help. Leighton Park does not have great GSCE results, that I think is an issue.... There are so many more schools around, shame they are full (lists completed more than a year ago). Oh well.

LIZS Thu 29-Sep-16 19:17:21

There will be some still taking registrations for y9, usually those with own entrance tests between November and January. Is your Ds taking CE?

mummytime Thu 29-Sep-16 19:19:52

I'd always had the impression Leighton Park do very well. Do they do IGCSEs?

vcharles Thu 29-Sep-16 19:44:21

Yes, LIZS - he will do Common Entrance. Mummytime, not sure if they do IGCSE or not - is there a notable difference. I would have preferred somthing more academically challenging than Leighton Park - I had the impression there's a lack of pushing so to speak.

user1471542821 Fri 30-Sep-16 20:08:53

Freemens is very academic and results are great but most of the boys there are sporty and it can be hard to fit in if they are not. Freemens is also quite small so it depends if your child would suit a close-knit year group

Blaggingit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:55:44

Sherfield school is between Basingstoke and Reading, could that be an option? Considering it for my son but would love some thoughts from parents with kids there at the moment.

BizzyFizzy Fri 30-Sep-16 21:04:43

What are your priorities?

Day/Flexi/Full boarding

Single sex/Co ed

Selective/non-selective?

Don't nitpick as to whether it's IGCSE or not. This is a triviality compared to the above.

BizzyFizzy Fri 30-Sep-16 21:11:56

One school to consider that is pretty close to Camberley, but does day/boarding, is Reddam House School (formerly Bearwood College). It is close to Winnersh station, and also Wokingham.

They took over Bearwood a couple of years ago and have invested millions into the facilities. They are still finding their feet but are playing a long game. Their aim is to be a selective school, competing with the best in the area. Their promote innovative teaching methods, eg flipped classroom, and fully embrace interactive technology (they have Apple TVs in every classroom and encourage students to be creative with iPads and iPhones).

The buildings and grounds are absolutely stunning.

Stillnoidea Fri 30-Sep-16 21:15:38

I used to live near Leighton Park. Have fond memories of the school discos they had.

<adds nothing useful to thread>

BizzyFizzy Fri 30-Sep-16 21:28:54

I'm surprised at the OP being down on LP. I have always held it in high regard (from my prep school days in the area, feeding boys and girls there). I've also visited it with pupils and loved their facilities (although slightly brutalist in architecture).

With any non-sective or minimally-selective school, you are always going to get a range of GCSE results. 90% A/A* is unrealistic for 99% of schools. It doesn't mean they are failing. It's an indication of their intake rather than teaching.

Anyone entering LP will be able to reach their potential, whether that is 10 Cs or 10 A*. Any A* student will thrive there, both academically and extra/super curricularly.

vcharles Sat 01-Oct-16 14:19:35

BizzyFizzy, I guess the priorities are for my son to reach his full potential - academically and otherwise - within a fairly competitive environment that is closer to real life rather than to some charitable institution)) I am also (sadly) on a budget.

FlourishingMrs Sat 01-Oct-16 16:37:35

Stay away from LVS in ascot, how about Wellington?

HereIAm20 Sat 01-Oct-16 18:02:26

I too would avoid LP and of the ones you have mentioned would favour Lord Wandsworth or Reading Blue Coat.

Are you too late to try for Reading School (state grammar) if he is academic?

Meatycankles Sat 01-Oct-16 18:12:25

Luckley House in Wokingham has recently gone co ed, they currently have boys in years 7 and 8, and in the sixth form. They are a good option for the less sporty boy.

vcharles Sun 02-Oct-16 08:41:22

Thank you so much for your views. I know Reddam house school, and probably they will make some positive changes with the new ownership - too early to tell, so I will stay away from this experiment for now. I did write to Wellington - but apparently we should have registered at least two years ago, also the day fees are around 30k. Lots of good girls' school around us (be good for my daughter in a couple of years time)), for boys the options are somewhat more limited...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now