About to wash my son's blazer - please reassure me!

(18 Posts)
num8ers Sun 25-Sep-16 21:06:12

My son's school has a blazer which is meant to be machine washable. It's an eco-blazer - so similar to polyester. I haven't been brave enough to wash it yet (had it dry cleaned in Y7), but tonight I've noticed it's a little whiffy under the armpits.

Before I stick it in the machine, can anyone reassure me that a) washing it won't ruin it and b) it will dry quickly so he can wear it in the morning.

Balletgirlmum Sun 25-Sep-16 21:07:07

I've washed dds blazer every week.

Hercules12 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:08:46

I also wash dds once a week.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 25-Sep-16 21:08:46

1. Empty the pockets (this might sound obvious, but I once inadvertently turned the only copy of the planning for a GCSE controlled assessment into papier mache).

2. Turn the blazer inside out. Machine wash at 30 degrees.

3. Turn it back the right way and hang it up. Do not tumble dry it.

dalmatianmad Sun 25-Sep-16 21:09:05

I wash their blazers every week otherwise they would stink hmm

missnevermind Sun 25-Sep-16 21:09:38

I put mine in on a short wash with a good spin. And then hang on a broad hanger to dry. I usually do it half a dozen times a year and has always been ok 👌 this way

birdsdestiny Sun 25-Sep-16 21:12:51

I wash my dh blazer every week. Don't tumble dry, hang over chair or on a hanger.

woodlands01 Sun 25-Sep-16 21:15:17

It will be fine.
Will wash perfect.
Dry on a hanger - will be dry by morning and need no ironing at all.

Blazers amaze me - shoved in the school rucksack, all scrunched up - they pop out perfect, no creases or anything.

Hockeydude Sun 25-Sep-16 21:15:34

I wash blazers every week. Otherwise they would be stinking under the arms. Wash it on its own, not a really long wash and hang carefully on hanger as soon as wash cycle finishes. It's machine washable, I don't know why you would hesitate!

Ausernotanumber Sun 25-Sep-16 21:16:54

Just make sure you empty the pockets. Check. Even if they say they've done it because they lie.

EmmaMacgill Sun 25-Sep-16 21:18:30

What Second said, also if you do find you need to iron it. Cover it with something like a tea towel or a sheet, I discovered the hard way that the coating can transfer onto your iron and ruin the blazer and the iron confused

HardcoreLadyType Sun 25-Sep-16 21:21:33

I wash these types of blazer on the hand wash cycle, just to be careful, and because they don't seem to need ironing if you hang them up on a coat hanger straight away.

Wisewisewords Sun 25-Sep-16 21:21:57

The label on ours used to say don't use fabric softener.

EmmaMacgill Sun 25-Sep-16 21:22:07

Also if you swap fabric conditioner for zoflora it will get rid of lingering whiffs, just a teaspoon in about 100ml of water in the fab con draw. That was a mumsnet tip

num8ers Mon 26-Sep-16 11:09:35

Thanks all for the reassurance ... it came out perfectly as you said it would and was dry by this morning. #loveMumsnet

RedHelenB Mon 26-Sep-16 15:44:23

My son is awesome.
He is smart and funny!

RedHelenB Tue 27-Sep-16 15:17:41

Just seen this last post by my ds! Apologies and glad the blazer came out well!

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 27-Sep-16 16:20:31

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now