Advanced search

proof of address for secondary school application

(7 Posts)
Vik1234 Tue 20-Sep-16 14:19:45

I'm getting panicked about the whole secondary school application process... I'm terrified of making a mistake that will impact on my son's future.... My query is this: I live with my mum so the council tax bill is not in my name. Nor do I have any tenancy agreement because it is an informal arrangement between me and my mum. I have other proofs such as driving licence, tax credits letter - when I called Lambeth council earlier this year, they assured me this was enough. But when I check the website again it seems to me that one of the proofs has to be council tax bill or tenancy agreement! Should I get an affidavit? And if so, how?? I googled it but it all seems a bit vague. Has anyone been in this situation who can advise me...please?

NerrSnerr Tue 20-Sep-16 14:22:41

If you live in the house shouldn't you be on the council tax bill? When there have been more than one adult living with me we have always called the council and they've been added to the bill.

If that's not possible what about a letter from the electoral register?

LIZS Tue 20-Sep-16 14:24:23

Electoral roll?

user1471537877 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:37:48

It's usually the address your child benefit is paid to

prh47bridge Tue 20-Sep-16 17:40:02

I've taken a look at Lambeth's website. I haven't looked at the online application system but, according to their secondary schools brochure, you also have the option of providing an Income Support/Benefit letter for the current financial year. If you can't supply that you need to check with Lambeth but make sure you get their answer in writing. If they only answer over the phone you should send them an email setting out what they have said. That way you will have evidence you can use if they do something different.

You could always formalise your relationship with your mother so that there is a tenancy agreement.

swampster Tue 20-Sep-16 22:27:48

Read this. It looks like driving licence and utility bill should be enough for you. Plus child tax credit letter for your child.

Lambeth are total gits though. I understand NHS medical cards are no longer being reissued (they were two years ago but couldn't get one this year). My child's card proves he lives in the house he was born in. He has moved twice since then. What a stupid thing to demand as proof of address!

Blu Tue 20-Sep-16 22:57:24

Check the individual school requirements, too - do any of the schools you wish to apply for have a SIF? (supplementary application form) seem to remember having to turn up at the school with a SIF and photocopies of proof of address.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now