Talk

Advanced search

should I get gcse exams remarked?

(12 Posts)
sasharella Thu 08-Sep-16 12:49:10

my DD did well in her GCSE results, but she was 2 marks away from an A for Maths and 2 marks away from B in Geography. She also got a D for Eng lit but is 6 marks away from a C.
I've spoken to the school about it and it will cost £35 to remark each paper 2 papers per exam.
I don't know if its worth doing? what do you think? has anyone else done it?
she would love to have got one A (all the rest Bs and Cs D ) for one subject - but with maths its either right or wrong isn't it? she is going on to do A level maths so the grade does not effect her A level choice.

the one really I want to get remarked is the D for Eng lit but i doubt they will find 6 extra marks but its worth a try to get a pass nothing to loose except £35 but with the other 2 though it's just 2 marks its a bit of gamble.
got until Friday to decide

Theselittlelights Thu 08-Sep-16 12:52:04

Would the re marks, make a difference to what she wants to do now?

janinlondon Thu 08-Sep-16 13:05:42

Are you talking about 2 raw marks or 2 UMS marks? And are the marks all in one paper or across several papers? If its raw marks and single papers then the maths and geography may move. The English lit is less likely. Not impossible, but pretty unlikely I think.

titchy Thu 08-Sep-16 13:05:56

Nothing to lose - grades can go down as well as up. Be careful... And I thought they only checked marking, didn;t actually remark?

sasharella Thu 08-Sep-16 13:25:17

No, the remarks wouldn't make a difference it would be just to get better grades. and be good to pass the eng lit.
What are raw marks and UMS marks? she took 2 papers for geog got 280 in one and 240 in other same with maths got 140 (A) in one and 105 (B) in other. School said need to choose which paper to have looked at. that is the next decision all of them or choose the most likely one?

titchy Thu 08-Sep-16 13:43:56

What do you mean the remarks wouldn't make any difference?

It is no longer possible for papers to be actually remarked. They will be checked to make sure there are no errors in marking (a question missed out) or clerical errors (one page not included in the total), but they won't actually get remarked.

They could also find out that, say, one page was double counted, and her overall mark should have been lower, so it isn't a risk-free strategy.

sasharella Thu 08-Sep-16 14:37:53

Titchy - I was replying to Theselittlelights when i said it doesn't make any difference I meant to her choices for A level. She is able to do A level maths with the B so it that isn't the reason for getting it looked at, just that she was so close to getting an A - would be her only A. That's why I'm undecided whether to do it or not for Maths.

So they don't actually remark anymore? I didn't realise that.. could still be worth it? i just don't know.
I realise it's a risky business, could be go down. Another reason for trying for the Eng lit as got nothing to loose with that one she was far away from the E boundary to take the risk. But Geography for the sake of 2 marks that might have been missed or an error you never know.

Has anyone else done it?

birdlover1977 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:04:09

The school sent off my DD's English Language GCSE without telling us and she went from a grade C to a B. We got the new Grade on Monday of this week. Good Luck.

Longlost10 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:02:07

she shouldn't be attempting A level maths with a B. So yes, it might be worth getting the maths double checked, because if she is genuinely below an A grade, she maybe needs to rethink

catslife Fri 09-Sep-16 09:15:44

she shouldn't be attempting A level maths with a B
Some sixth forms do allow this, even some fairly high achieving ones. These sixth forms often assess pupils taking A level Maths using other tests to make sure they have the ability/skills to take A level Maths as well as just using GCSE grades.
My understanding is that papers are still remarked, the new rules do mean that it has to be a genuine error in applying the markscheme rather than 2 slightly different opinions that are still within markscheme guidelines. See attached article about remarks www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/05/26/exams-regulator-announces-clampdown-on-remarks

GnomeDePlume Fri 09-Sep-16 09:32:44

We will be getting a remark of English Language for DS as he was 1 UMS off a C. He needs the C to get onto the course he wants plus I think that a pass in English & Maths is often a base level requirement for jobs.

We will also be requesting return of paper to find out where he went wrong to help direct him if he needs to resit.

Would a return of paper to see where marks got lost be both cheaper and more useful?

Badbadbunny Fri 09-Sep-16 10:15:26

A friend's daughter got a C in Eng Lit when she was forecast a A. They applied for it to be remarked (and for the return of the paper at even more cost), and it turned out the marker had only marked the first essay and then multiplied that same mark for the other essays. Unfortunately, she'd done her worst essay first to get it out of the way, so the subsequent better essays hadn't been marked at all. Upon review, she was upgraded to A!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now