Talk

Advanced search

Transferring from one secondary school to another -admission process

(11 Posts)
Emochild Sun 04-Sep-16 00:09:43

Dd has missed all of year 9 due to severe anxiety

Decision was made that a fresh start at a new school was the way forward

Application for the new school went in in June

July 18th we were told that they would accept her at the new school but as it was so close to the end of term then they couldn't confirm a start date

Term starts on Wednesday, I've not been able to get hold of anyone to confirm a start date

Dd is adamant that if she's not there on the first day then she won't go as walking into classes that have already started lessons, have seating plans already established etc will be too hard

She doesn't want to stand out any more than absolutely necessary and on her mind starting on the first day is the only way she will be able to start

I have no idea of the logistics of this

Does anyone know how long it actually takes to action a move and get her on role -as it stands I have no idea if her old school is expecting her back (their part of the transfer paperwork was completed at the end of June) or if she is on role at the new school

If she is on role at the new school can I insist that they take her from day 1?

They have had info and assessment from her tutors and her gcse option choices from the end of June

I'm terrified that this is going to be a failed placement

prh47bridge Sun 04-Sep-16 01:00:55

They seem to have been rather vague but I would take the view that you have been offered and accepted a place at the new school so your daughter should be able to show up on the first day of term. I would also keep trying to contact the school. There may well be staff there on Monday and/or Tuesday.

Emochild Sun 04-Sep-16 06:23:33

Thanks bridge, you are right about them being vague

I had several meetings with them before I put the application in so that I was 100% happy and they seemed fantastic

Now I'm starting to worry

Dd is year 10 and this is all starting to feel very much like last chance saloon

mummytime Sun 04-Sep-16 08:37:18

I would keep phoning the school or even drop in. Most schools I know are in full action on Monday and Tuesday, but just having Inset days to prepare for the scho year.

FathomsDeep Sun 04-Sep-16 08:43:56

I would be tempted to go down there in person on Monday. Staff will be in for inset day and it's more likely to get sorted if they can't ignore you. I hate doing this sort of thing but it sounds massively important for your DD that everything is in place by Wednesday.

Emochild Sun 04-Sep-16 09:30:29

Don't see as i'm going to have any choice other than to go and stage a sit in

I'm past caring if i'm that parent or not

The only other options I have if she doesn't attend this school is the local college 14-16 program but it's vocational with 1 day a week work experience -for some teens it sounds excellent but it wouldn't suit dd
Or homeschool which we have looked into but realistically I don't see how it would work for actual qualifications

I feel sick right to the pit of my stomach

user1471537877 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:53:15

Emo is your child receiving help and support from CAMHS or has an EHCP?

DD was just like yours, severe anxiety asd etc and Is now educated from home at Interhigh, it's been fantastic for her anxiety she will take igcses and is funded by her local authority due to an EHCP

Emochild Mon 05-Sep-16 12:32:39

EHCP is in progress -map meeting was before the holiday, next meeting at the end of the month

Looked at interhigh previously but worried about lack of social opportunities and also where do they actually sit the exams? Reading the website it suggested we had to find our own exam center but I can't see dd being able to walk into a strange building to sit an exam

Been to school this morning, reception closed -I can see and hear people in the building but can't get to anyone

Rung the council admissions team, that is going to voicemail too

I give in

Emochild Mon 05-Sep-16 14:54:55

They've just rung

She starts at 10.30 on Wednesday

Rest of the year group starts at 11 so she's got half an hour of admin, -then she's straight into lessons

Pythonesque Mon 05-Sep-16 14:59:58

That sounds great, a "clean" start to year 10 sounds what she needs. Best wishes for Wednesday morning, hope it goes as well as possible. Glad you got the call.

Footle Mon 05-Sep-16 15:09:21

Good luck, hope it goes well and she feels a laid back welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now