Talk

Advanced search

Enrollment at 3 schools

(16 Posts)
CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 11:58:51

Is it okay to enrol at three schools and choose one before they start. Dd has not made her mind up yet so we are have enrolled at two schools and will enroll on a third on Tuesday. Is this okay, it won't effect others will it?

PotteringAlong Sat 03-Sep-16 12:00:15

Private schools I assume? I would imagine you will be liable for the first term fees at every one you enroll at.

meditrina Sat 03-Sep-16 12:05:28

Where are you?

In UK you can register for as many private schools as you like, and see which of those registrations turn in to definite offers. Everyone makes several, because eggs in all one basket is too risky.

Secondary school offers are usually made around January, and that's the time you need to be decisive or lose a term's fees.

Sirzy Sat 03-Sep-16 12:07:30

Surely if if was private (in uk) they would have wanted money by now?

riceuten Sat 03-Sep-16 12:10:59

Before co-ordinated admissions, this was common in the public sector, particularly with grant maintained schools and academies often not consulting/informing the LEA when admitting. We had one despond parent take their child to one popular school for a week, and then to another "to see which one I like". They'd denied another parent/child a place for their indecisiveness and selfishness.

We had another parent buy the school uniform of a school where they didn't get in, and sent the child to the school anyway (until it was discovered she wasn't actually on roll!), but that's for a different thread entirely.

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:11:15

No this is for sixth form. No all state schools.

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:12:17

This is in the U.K. We have enrolled and been offered a place at two schools and have a place at a third. Dd has to choose and make her mind up.

meditrina Sat 03-Sep-16 12:12:18

It depends which year entry - I assumed for Sept 2017 (because it would just be cutting it too fine for this year). People will be registering this autumn for schools (only a smallish number have earlier deadlines) and only the registration admin fee is required. Deposits only after definite offer.

But OP might not be in UK - as 'enrolment' is more of a north American usage, and the system where she is could be utterly different.

Sirzy Sat 03-Sep-16 12:12:46

It's a bit unfair on the settings really who will be doinb all the admin side of things - presumably applying for appropriate funding too. And it may be blocking a place for someone else.

When exactly is she going to make a decision? Term starts next week!

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:12:55

First school said if you want to attend just turn up on Monday and start.

meditrina Sat 03-Sep-16 12:13:14

Sorry OP, was typing and so cross-posted with your last. Ignore me!

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:17:19

It's a bit unfair on the settings really who will be doinb all the admin side of things - presumably applying for appropriate funding too. And it may be blocking a place for someone else.

So should I tell her she needs to choose her favourite out of the two she has a place at and then or the one we have yet to enroll at.

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 12:19:00

Dd has caused a mess, she did not tell her original school she was coming back and they planned it all out for her including timetables etc. She is going to choose this week what one she actually wants to attend.

Stillunexpected Sat 03-Sep-16 13:22:58

Well given that one school starts on Monday, and the others presumably follow on very soon after if not also that day, I don't really see what the point of enrolling at a third school is? Why can she not make her mind up? What thought process is she going to go through in the next 48 hours which will help her make her mind up?

CookieMonster67 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:03:53

It's also because the schools are different distances have different results and she will have to take different options

catslife Sun 04-Sep-16 17:51:45

Come and join us on the Y12 thread in the Further Ed section.
I think someone on there enrolled provisionally for 2 sixth forms because the first one wasn't sure whether they would be able to take one their options or not. There could be a "cooling off" period, but I would check out the small print in case there are any hidden charges for withdrawing. We had to pay an enrollment fee / deposit at sixth form college which isn't returned if a student doesn't take up the place so guess some sixth forms do have systems to deal with this eventuality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now