Help with maths GCSE grade boundaries

(7 Posts)
NEScribe Thu 25-Aug-16 17:03:11

After spending 40 mins at the computer I have managed to find grade boundaries for all DDs GCSEs so I can see how close she was to A in a couple of subjects (pretty close sad
but she really struggles in maths and got a D grade although she had done a lot of previous exam papers and in most, managed C.
The problem is AQA say maths is linear and only the exam mark is shown rather than the mark equivalent as in other subjects. So how on earth can people check whether the mark is very close to C grade??

I realise in maths it might not be as easy to challenge marks since in many questions there is less room for "opinion" - it's either right/wrong and calculations shown/not shown but surely there must be a figure somewhere so students can see whether they were close to C grade pass. It would also give her a boost for a re-sit if she was close to pass mark.
I teach in university and I really think our marking system is SO much simpler - or maybe it's just that I am used to it.smile

titchy Thu 25-Aug-16 17:25:46

The school will have the raw marks - ask them.

NEScribe Thu 25-Aug-16 17:38:06

this is the bit I don't understand about maths.
All the other grade boundaries are shown and you can work out where you stand.
I have read how they calculate the notional boundaries but there must be an actual mark set for C grade or D grade?

titchy Thu 25-Aug-16 18:08:51

There is - although it will change from one year to the next. The school will have that mark and be able to advise.

lobba Thu 25-Aug-16 19:07:29

Did she sit higher or foundation, according to what I have found on foundation 116 was needed for a C and on higher it was 62. As it was a linear exam the marks they get aren't scaled in any way. I found this at the very bottom of their grade boundaries document (not in its alphabetical place!)

notapizzaeater Thu 25-Aug-16 19:50:02

My tutor could tell me my points in my grade - have you asked school ?

teachersaspirations Mon 29-Aug-16 18:53:30

wouldn't it be simple for the schools to put these boundaries on their website for all the exams that their students take

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now