Talk

Advanced search

Isbn numbers school have given for books required are all no longer printed,do we get the newer versions or second hand correct versions?

(14 Posts)
2StripedSocks Fri 19-Aug-16 22:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuackDuckQuack Fri 19-Aug-16 22:45:50

I'd wait and ask the school - it might be a pita for pupils to have different versions when it comes to 'everyone turn to the first paragraph on page 37' and it isn't the same. Could you email the teacher? Some will respond over the summer, particularly if it's a quick query.

2StripedSocks Fri 19-Aug-16 22:49:28

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 20-Aug-16 09:02:04

So this isn't just because all the exams have changed and the publishers are re doing all texts and revision guides for the new courses??

Sounds like you should get the ones they have requested but seems a bit strange. English literature texts I could understand but science/geography etc must be out of date in date and relevance to curriculum.

I'd email too

2StripedSocks Sat 20-Aug-16 09:11:10

MrsJoeyMaynard Sat 20-Aug-16 09:13:59

Dictionaries?

I can't think of any sensible reason why you'd need a dictionary from 1998 rather than a newly published one.

2StripedSocks Sat 20-Aug-16 09:34:00

amidawish Sat 20-Aug-16 12:08:33

i would definitely get the newest editions
they are probably just using the ISBN from one they have, not v helpful though!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 20-Aug-16 12:52:20

That is wierd! Surely the atlas would be out of date as countries/borders change??

Leeds2 Sat 20-Aug-16 16:18:25

Same thing happened when getting DD's atlas. I waited until she actually started school, and most of the class didn't have one as they had encountered the same problem. Teacher didn't mind, was duly apologetic, and she did want them to have the newer version. Wouldn't think it would really matter for dictionaries though.

HPFA Sat 20-Aug-16 21:13:50

As a librarian I see plenty of outdated reading lists. And some very strange ideas of what books children will find interesting - many reading lists for children seem to assume publishing stopped in about 1995.

Squirr3ls Sun 21-Aug-16 13:13:25

I'm really surprised that a school would be asking DC to bring books these days. Every child has a smartphone (or school computer of some kind) with access to any of the information that ancient dictionaries could provide, one reason why schools often don't keep non fiction any more.
Neither of my DC ever had text books either their own or schools and they started Y7 11 years ago. Is it a private school thing?

2StripedSocks Sun 21-Aug-16 18:20:26

sydenhamhiller Tue 23-Aug-16 08:14:03

OP, it's not an SS grammar in Orpington by any chance? I was having the same issue this time last year. In the end I bought the updated version of whatever it was (the French-English dictionary and the English dictionary I think). DS never mentioned any issues.
I should have given them this helpful feedback...😉 Good luck with the rest of the prep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now