Some Help With Research

(8 Posts)
Educationboy56 Thu 18-Aug-16 00:15:37

I am currently conducting some very basic primary research to assist with a masters dissertation.
I was wondering if anybody here would be able to find a few moments to complete the following questionnaire about GCSE subject selection?

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIxrZOcjccNU8b1ZZo94p1Dsxa6hzo1XsQOP_E_15LODkCaQ/viewform

Many thanks in advance for any time you are able to give!
Kind regards
Matt

elephantoverthehill Thu 18-Aug-16 00:23:10

I tried to answer your questionnaire. I am both a teacher and a parent. With the greatest of respect I think you need to rethink and rewrite this.

TeenAndTween Thu 18-Aug-16 21:25:26

Answered, though I do think some of the questions are woolly.

e.g. The 'perception' question. I influenced my DD not on perception but based on research. My experience from 30 years ago would not be relevant.

Then the 'schools' questions. I can really only answer on our school, not in general.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 18-Aug-16 21:36:37

I have completed and submitted it, but agree with TeenAndTween about the wording.

OdinsLoveChild Thu 18-Aug-16 23:42:58

I have completed it for you. I would have liked the detail to be a little clearer .

It would be helpful to know what specific information you are trying to gain from the questions.

For example had you said you were looking for a parents prospective on the reasons I believed my children chose their GCSE subjects then I would answer one way, you left it to me to decide how I answer so I took it that you meant why I chose the subjects I did when I was a student.

I chose my GCSE's for completely different reasons to that of my children. Mine were all on the whole compulsory. I took them the very first trial year as my school was part of the initial trial group. We were given only 2 options to choose from on top of the compulsory subjects. My choices were along the lines of which humanity do you want to study? RE, Geography or History? plus Which craft subject do you want to study? Home Economics, CDT or Art? That's it.

My children have what seems to be more than a dozen different subjects they can choose from including Engineering and Business Studies, Law etc.

You will struggle to make useful comparisons I think without making it clearer that you want modern day students experiences rather than their parents or you will need a way to separate the 2 experiences.

TeenAndTween Fri 19-Aug-16 08:15:31

Yes to Odin above.

Plus with parental 'experience' you may like to consider understanding at least what year/decade the parents did their GCSEs/O levels/CSE and also possibly their highest level of qualification, as I could imagine that could make a massive difference to the perspective. At least then you would know who you had sampled (mumsnet education section isn't very representative of society as a whole I don't think)

Good luck with the dissertation

catslife Fri 19-Aug-16 10:04:48

Have completed your survey but as a Scientist I actually took 3 separate Science subjects at O level i.e. Physics, Chemistry and biology rather than a subject such as Science. When I did these qualifications many subjects such as DT and food technology (am not sure why you list these as separate categories) didn't exist in their current form.
The other difference is that at my school taking a MFL either French or German was compulsory. At dds school it isn't although she chose to take one. Why isn't there a question fro which subjects our dcs are taking / have taken at GCSE.

morningtoncrescent62 Fri 19-Aug-16 18:09:58

I started to complete it, but I'm afraid I gave up.

OP, did you show this form to your tutor before you uploaded it? I'm afraid it shows you and your university in rather a bad light. Several of the questions are vague as pp have said. Also, there are several grammatical mistakes in the introductory letter, and 'yours enquiringly' really doesn't exist as a way of signing off! If your tutor has agreed the form then there's something seriously wrong with the course and your supervision. If your tutor hasn't agreed it, then you should probably remove it and ask them to give you some pointers so that you get good data that you can use.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now