Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any organisations / schemes for DS to travel/volunteer/work abroad

(5 Posts)
poppledopple Thu 11-Aug-16 17:13:31

DS will now take a gap year - wants to travel/volunteer/work in a few places around the world - but he will be travelling alone - so wants to join a few initiatives along the way (thinking of getting a round the world ticket).....will also post on tertiary education....

mary21 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:24:55

This might suit www.volunteerics.org/ or he might find stuff here www.workaway.info There are gap year organisations but they often cost ££££££

poppledopple Thu 11-Aug-16 22:57:18

These look great and authentic - I have been trying to swerve orgs that charge money and where the programmes have little (or negative impact) - thank you mary21

Zodlebud Fri 12-Aug-16 07:52:40

If he has any interest in working with children then I would wholeheartedly recommend Camp America. I spent my first summer in the USA 21 years ago and still work there today (in a senior management role).

It is not for the faint hearted - it's the hardest job you'll ever do and you have to love working with children. However, it taught me so much about management skills, influencing, communicating, negotiating and conflict management - skills that have stayed with me for life. I also love it when my campers from days gone by contact me on social media once they are all grown up and tell me what an impact I had on their life.

There is a cost for participating but it is a non profit making organisation. Be aware that cheaper alternatives do exist but the support they offer varies. The only other one I would recommend is CCUSA.

poppledopple Fri 12-Aug-16 08:30:40

Thanks Zodlebud -- I will look into those.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now