Talk

Advanced search

DD starting secondary - PE kit question

(18 Posts)
tulippa Thu 04-Aug-16 17:52:43

Sorry if posting in the wrong place.

DD starts secondary in September and has to get a moulded gum shield as part of her PE kit. I've searched on line and this brings up all sorts of different options.

Would anyone be able to recommend one that their DC uses and has worked well? DD is first out of anyone we know that well to go to secondary so haven't been able to ask in RL. Also she's the only one from her primary going to this particular school.

Thanks in advance. smile

eyebrowsonfleek Thu 04-Aug-16 17:58:37

I just get one from Sports Direct.

tulippa Thu 04-Aug-16 18:04:45

Sorry for being thick or over thinking this but does moulded mean it has to be moulded personally to DD's teeth or can you just get a generic one?

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 04-Aug-16 18:06:01

You mould it yourself. They come with instructions. Warm water is involved.

MyakkaState Thu 04-Aug-16 18:09:03

We are in exactly the same position OP. Bought an OPRO 'boil' one from the uniform shop for £12. Like this

www.bytomic.com/Opro-Flavoured-Gen-3-Mouthguard-p/oprof3.htm?1=1&CartID=0

tulippa Thu 04-Aug-16 18:16:15

Ok thanks everyone - think I understand now. So you boil it once then it fits permanently around DD's teeth (unless her mouth grows)?

Never had any of this when I went to high school. Doing hockey just meant you got injured which is why I've hated it ever since.

Icouldbeknitting Thu 04-Aug-16 19:38:20

You boil it. she bites on it (obviously once it's cooled a bit) and then you take the kitchen scissors to it if it's too long in the jaw. There will be instructions in the box. Ds lost his faster than he could grow out of them so I was doing this on a regular basis.

LemonDr1zzle Thu 04-Aug-16 19:43:20

Depending on how much you want to spend and whether your DD has all her adult teeth, you can get boil-diy ones for as little as £5 or have your dentist fit them for around £50.

We've gone for £10 or £15 diy ones, because DC's teeth are still changing and they only do hockey for 1 term each year... Unfortunately I don't have the money for customised ones for all of my kids.

Emochild Thu 04-Aug-16 19:46:48

I get dd's for a couple of pounds from sports direct

Even though she's pretty tall we've had to get a junior one as the adult one makes her gag

tulippa Thu 04-Aug-16 20:33:21

Right - that's all clear now - thanks all!

Think will be going for DIY ones as don't fancy forking out £50. shock

lljkk Thu 04-Aug-16 20:45:09

You should be able to find one for under £5.
DC never use theirs.

ChickyDuck Thu 04-Aug-16 21:02:02

Also, if her teeth move/grow you can generally reboil and re shape (if she doesn't lose it in the first week!)

Leeds2 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:48:25

We used OPRO too. Never had any complaints

Eglantyne Thu 04-Aug-16 21:54:35

I coach hockey. No gum shield, no hockey. Get the boil and bite ones from Sports Direct, as posters have said above. They can be as cheap as £2. Get a couple and keep one back for when she can't find it when packing her PE bag and Sports Direct is shut. They lose them all the time, and at my ds's school it's detention if they don't have one.

snowy508601 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:59:00

£1 from sports direct

prettybird Fri 05-Aug-16 22:51:17

Decathlon also sells good cheap gumshields. Try looking in the rugby section if you can't find them in the hockey section.

MachiKoro Fri 05-Aug-16 22:55:47

We have had dozens of different ones. Finding out you could cut off the back bit was a true revelation, and they key to DD being able to wear them properly (my children seem to have teeny weeny little jaws).

amidawish Sun 07-Aug-16 16:48:06

OPRO fan here
personally i would fork out for one moulded to their teeth. way more comfortable to wear. dentistry costs a fortune, painful, difficult to fix - worth £50 imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now