Starting high school after the summer - what does DS and what do we need to know?

(13 Posts)
eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 11:33:53

DS starts high school in August (Scotland). Wondered if you had any words of wisdom to prepare him/ us about what your top tips would be around starting high school.

Just5minswithDacre Tue 26-Jul-16 11:36:21

Don't make a big fuss, keep it low key. It's a big enough change as it is.

Leeds2 Tue 26-Jul-16 13:28:36

Make sure he knows how to get there and back, whether he is walking or taking the bus. Friend of mine's son knew he had to get Bus No 123 to get to school, and he did. He then caught Bus No 123 from the bus stop he got off at to get home - didn't realise that you had to get the bus back home on the opposite side of the road!

Encourage him to try as many new club, societies etc as he can when there are introductory sessions for the new children. It will be harder - but not, by any means, impossible - if he leaves it a few months.

eightytwenty Tue 26-Jul-16 13:44:55

That's funny! Fortunately school is a short walk away though he is already bus-trained. Good idea re clubs. Guess he'll find out more at start of term. Not sure how many/ fantastic they will be. We are in Edinburgh and schools finish at luncheon on Friday, result of which is that there seem to be fewer during school activities as lunch hours are shorter.

prettybird Thu 28-Jul-16 14:53:29

Don't make a big deal of it even if it is for you wink

Does the school let them out for lunch? Ds' school doesn't let S1s out so he either needed to have enough money (or he could load up his Q card or Young Scot card to use for payment) or take a packed lunch.

He'll probably be very tired the first couple of weeks while he gets used to the new regime.

Not sure when the Edinburgh holidays are: in Glasgow we've got the extra-long weekend in September and then the October Week, both of which he needed.

Essexmum69 Sun 31-Jul-16 08:03:42

Encourage him to be organised. Always pack bags the night before!

Hassled Sun 31-Jul-16 08:17:22

I think the main shock to my DCs' systems was just how tired they were - the combination of having had a few weeks doing nothing much, and then thrown into a high-stress environment, with the physical activity of moving around the school much more than they did at Primary etc etc. They were exhausted in the first few weeks, and unprepared for how exhausted they'd be.

To begin with I'd remind them of PE kit/packing homework etc but then stepped back a bit - it doesn't take more than a couple of negative points dished out by a teacher to make them focus their minds and start remembering stuff.

dementedma Sun 31-Jul-16 08:22:13

Agree, keep it chilled and get relatives to drop the constant "are you looking forward to high school?" stuff.
Make sure he knows the system for buying lunches etc. DS school use swipe cards which they can top up at machines and that was a new thing for him.

FrazzleM Sun 31-Jul-16 08:28:51

He can't have enough copies of his timetable (coat pocket, inside of folder, bag). He should take a pic of it with his phone if he has one.

He should get into the habit of checking his timetable and packing his bag accordingly each night.

yomellamoHelly Sun 31-Jul-16 08:36:08

It's exhausting to start with - stress of getting there on own, navigating the school, dealing with lockers, remembering all their own stuff and completing lots of (actually quite challenging after primary) homework. Not to mention pressure to make friends and find ways to occupy self in lunch breaks etc. And also tying of ties and shoelaces/ putting on more complicated uniform around PE etc when you're under time-pressure / need to be in the period already because the games teacher overran....

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 31-Jul-16 09:20:00

We had an A4 box for each day which held the books for each day so DD just had to pack that box. When she got home each day she would unpack and put books in boxes for when they were next needed. Printed time table one in her room and one in the kitchen so we both knew what she had each day. Although it annoyed DD a lot I always asked her what homework she had each day and when it was due in and then asked her what her plan was for doing homework.
They definitely need help with organisation.

JustRichmal Sun 31-Jul-16 11:39:48

Making friends and meeting new people I think is the biggest concern children have. The only advice I can remember giving my dd was when she had started 2 years ago. In the first few days, she told me all the girls in her class sat together at lunch times. I advised her to make sure it was everyone and no one was being left out.

Another bit of advice I once gave was that if you want to join in or make a new friend but feel a little uncertain, think of one thing you like about that person then go and ask them if you can join the game.

prettybird Sun 31-Jul-16 12:22:39

Being in Scotland, it is probable that he is going to school with the rest of his class(es) from primary school unless you did a placing request for him, so he should already have friends at the secondary.

But I would advise him to make the effort to make new friends. The school will usually spread kids from different primaries across the new intake. Make the most of the potential for new friendships - and he can always find his "old" friends at break/lunch time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now