Talk

Advanced search

Do successful appeals reduce waiting list chances?

(6 Posts)
BayeauxT Sun 24-Jul-16 17:36:37

Does anyone know if the number of children admitted on appeal reduces the chances of children on waiting list getting in? The secondary DD wanted to get into has max 240 children per year group. Out of 15 appeals, 13 got places, which I was a bit gobsmacked about... Does that mean the school won't even consider the waiting list until the numbers are back down to 240? I tried to ask the council education officer but I'm not sure I explained very well.

Poor DD is very worried about starting secondary; her 3 best friends got into the other school (2 on appeal) and she has started pulling her hair out, literally, as she says it helps when she feels anxious 😥. Anyway that's a topic for another thread; I'm just not sure if there is any hope of getting in on the waiting list. Thanks

apple1992 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:42:29

Yes I think that means they won't look at waiting list until down to 240.

apple1992 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:43:48

Just to add, there will be loads of kids going without friends. She will soon make new ones. Try to focus on the positives as realistically a place at other school won't come up soon.

BayeauxT Sun 24-Jul-16 18:42:28

Thanks, we have been positive about the new friends she will make as well as keep the old friends, who live nearby, but I am just a bit shocked seeing the hair she has pulled out so hoping for a miracle I guess...

admission Sun 24-Jul-16 21:42:01

I am afraid that the pupils admitted under appeal are over the PAN and therefore until the number in the year group drops below the PAN of 240, the school will admit none from the waiting list.
I think you have to be realistic, that unless you are in an area that has a very mobile population the chance of getting a place from the waiting list is very low.

tiggytape Sun 24-Jul-16 23:13:24

So many successful appeals does mean that more children would need to drop out now for them to get back down to 239 - which is when they can start to offer from the list again.

Your poor DD does sound very anxious about this so I am sure it must be very worrying for you too. Some nervousness is normal - lots of children will be going to a school where they know nobody or going to a school which will place them in separate classes to all their friends. They do generally make friends and settle very quickly (even the quiet ones) but I think in your DD's case, it might be worth contacting her new school to let them know that she may require extra support during the transition.

You never know, you may eventually get a waiting list place to the school you want but it is hard to bank on that and it would be good if the school she's been allocated could be aware of her worries so that they are as welcoming and supportive as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now